How to tell USA from Tribute other than headstock decal..

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:50 am

So I'm going to be getting an early 2000's (2003?) USA Legacy next week, black with maple board. Since I don't know the owner at all, I want to ensure that it is a real USA, and not a tribute that has had it's headstock decal changed out. Since they have the same hardware and pickups, Is there any way to know for sure? The pics I have been given are not all that great, and I will post them later when I get home.

The serial number checks out on the G&L registry, but that site is searchable by type--anyone who wanted to could simply look up a guitar by type and then forge a serial number. I am familiar with Fender/Squier differences, but not at all conversant in g&L.

I have noticed the back of USA model headstocks have that little plugged hole left over from manufacturing. Do the tributes have that? Can I see a difference in neck and neck cavity stamps? What should I look for?!?!?!?

I sure hope its real because I'm excited about it!

Re: How to tell USA from Tribute other than headstock decal.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:09 am

backporchmusic wrote:So I'm going to be getting an early 2000's (2003?) USA Legacy next week, black with maple board. Since I don't know the owner at all, I want to ensure that it is a real USA, and not a tribute that has had it's headstock decal changed out. Since they have the same hardware and pickups, Is there any way to know for sure? The pics I have been given are not all that great, and I will post them later when I get home.

The serial number checks out on the G&L registry, but that site is searchable by type--anyone who wanted to could simply look up a guitar by type and then forge a serial number. I am familiar with Fender/Squier differences, but not at all conversant in g&L.

I have noticed the back of USA model headstocks have that little plugged hole left over from manufacturing. Do the tributes have that? Can I see a difference in neck and neck cavity stamps? What should I look for?!?!?!?

I sure hope its real because I'm excited about it!

Check the serial number. See this post in the G&L Knowledgebase:Serial number significance.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:40 am

another difference is the neck/body bolt plate will be stamped with " G&L" on USA
... bolt plate is a blank peice of chrome metal on the Tributes

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:31 am

Thanks so much for the answers so far--always great to have such a resource on the web!

Much of my ideas here are based on how people try to pass off Squiers as Fenders. But with them there are many simple construction isseus, that no matter the paint of stickers, will separate the two to the experienced eye.

I looked up the serial number, and it checks out. But I outlined my concerns about that in my post. The database is a great resource, but it can be used to type in 'black and maple legacy' and serial numbers will pop up, which can then be simply turned into a waterslide decal with a home printer. My concern is that a serial number can be faked (sanded off then a new decal applied to the headstock). And a neck plate is a simply 5 minute swap. Is there anything else? Do the neck stamps look different?

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:48 am

From what I can see online, the Tributes don't have that tiny filled-in pilot hole in the back of the headstock that the USA ones have? Is that correct?

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:03 am

Yes, at least that's what I see on my two Tributes (S-500 and L-2000).

As for differences, there I see the neck's rake (transition from neck to headstock), the neck joint / pocket is shaped different, too. The knobs are different (Tribs have push-on domes while US uses flat tops with allen screws).

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm not an expert but I do own a 2004 USA ASAT Classic. From my experience, 2005 (?) and prior would have the bi-cut neck with two dots on the back of the headstock; one above the G-string tuner and the other in the middle of the lower headstock. Aslo, if held in the right light, I can just barely see the bi-cut line down the back of the neck. Tributes do not have the bi-cut neck.

My ASAT is also black and I can see two small indentations in the back of the body in the right light where it was mounted on the fixture before routing. These ere the same type of dots on the back of the headstock. There is one dot on the treble side near the neck plate and one in the middle of the lower bout.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:15 pm

Another thing to check are the tuners. See: What tuners are used on G&L guitars (USA models)?.

:ugeek:

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Good things to look for! Thanks.