ASAT Tribute Classic 2003/04 - Korean- pickguard template

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi from Australia. Im in a bit of a bind. I bought my Tribute a couple of years ago via ebay but someone had replaced the original pickguard with a Telecaster pickguard.

So I need an original pickguard template for the subject guitar as I want to get the guitar back to 100% original. I did find a template on the web, but the pdf file has a problem with USA letter sizing and our A4 paper size, so the image is slightly squashed when printed.

Has anyone got the subject pickguard in poor condition and is willing to either sell it cheap , or can just trace it out on paper and snail mail it to me ? I know thats a big ask, but well, I'm asking.

Im told via the web that there can be small dimension variances with the pickguards for ASAT Tribute Classic (non USA made), so if someone can help with a template or a worn pickguard, I can first up email a hand drawing showing the dimensions between all the screw holes (taken from my Tribute's body) just to be sure its the right one.

Regards, Don in Oz

Re: ASAT Tribute Classic 2003/04 - Korean- pickguard templat

Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:23 pm

The A4/Letter size problem can be resolved by having the file printed at a local copy/print shop. Most have the ability to receive and print digital files. If they are in the copy/print business and not just a store with a simple copy machine they should be able to print to a larger size paper allowing the image to print without distortion. You will need some method of insuring the scale is correct like registration marks and a portion of a ruler that can be measured.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:43 pm

Thanks Salmon. I will call the local print shop tomorrow.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am

Also, if $ is not an issue, you can buy one through Chandler Guitars at Pickguard Heaven. Here's a link to the G&L pickguards:

http://pickguards.us/pricegandl.html

They carry both G&L USA and Tribute pickguards.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:44 pm

Chandler aka Pickguard Heaven requires an original pickguard to use as a template for the Tributes.

They list Tributes for price reference but they do not actually keep any in stock. Each one is made to order. They are all made to order but they will not make a Tribute pickguard only relying on a number or a previous sample. There are too many variables with the Tributes. It is repeated on the website that they work off of the original pickguard they are replacing with the Tributes.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:47 pm

I thought tributes didn't always have a standard screw hole location/placement was the reason behind send your guard in PGH .... it would be worth a call ..... maybe you can get one and drill your own holes based off what you have if it is the case

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi Donny,

If you can wait a couple of days, I have access to a high end photocopier/scanner at work.

I can make a scan of my 2003 MIK ASAT pickguard to fit an A4 sheet and e-mail the file to you. You could then cut out a paper template and put it on your guitar to see if the screw holes etc. match. Surely Chandler could make you a guard if you could guarantee that the template is an exact fit?

Cheers,

Phil.

P.S. I forgot to say that many local luthiers will cut you a pickguard from a template for about the same price as a Chandler guard, once you factor in Chandler's ~$50 freight from the USA to Oz.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Yea Philby ! I can wait for your file. My email is djbanks@bigpond.net.au
Here's some measurements though that you might want to check first: Starting from the screwhole at the neck pocket adjacent to the 6th string and measuring from the centreline of the screwholes (on my ASAT body) in an anti-clockwise direction....69mm, 67mm, 90mm (where the bridge sits), 63mm, 82mm , 82mm , 100mm (from the top screwhole of the bottom horn to the neck pocketscrew hole adajcent to the 1st string) and 72 mm (back to the starting point screwhole. Another measurement of importance is the actual body neckpocket width. Mine is 57mm. DO these measurements appear the same as yours, or so close it shouldn't matter ? Thank you ! Don in Oz