Is the Tribute ASAT Special in Tobacco Sunburst discontinued

Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:57 am

Hello all. I'm a 45-year old prog rock fan and guitar player. I'm also a big fan of G&L guitars, especially the Tribute series. I have a Tribute ASAT deluxe carved top, and I ordered a Tribute ASAT Special in tobacco sunburst from Musician's Friend in November (the mahogony version). It was backordered, then finally they sent me an email claiming that the model has been discontinued. It's still on the G&L site, so I was wondering if anyone at the forum could confirm MF's claim. I have another Tribute ASAT Special on backorder, this time the blueburst ash version, and I wonder if I'm going to get another email from MF claiming that it has also been discontinued. Thanks for the help.

Re: Is the Tribute ASAT Special in Tobacco Sunburst disconti

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:29 am

ProgRock wrote:Hello all. I'm a 45-year old prog rock fan and guitar player. I'm also a big fan of G&L guitars, especially the Tribute series. I have a Tribute ASAT deluxe carved top, and I ordered a Tribute ASAT Special in tobacco sunburst from Musician's Friend in November (the mahogony version). It was backordered, then finally they sent me an email claiming that the model has been discontinued. It's still on the G&L site, so I was wondering if anyone at the forum could confirm MF's claim. I have another Tribute ASAT Special on backorder, this time the blueburst ash version, and I wonder if I'm going to get another email from MF claiming that it has also been discontinued. Thanks for the help.

I have forwarded your post to Dave McLaren at G&L. G&L's offices and factory are currently on their annual December shutdown, so it may be a week or two until I heard
back from Dave. The Mahogany version of the Tribute ASAT Special just came out this year, so I would be surprised if it was discontinued so soon. It may be that they are
on backorder awaiting for another shipment from Indonesia.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:55 am

Thanks. I was referring to this version, which has been out for a while: http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/Tr ... /index.asp

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:45 pm

Also, if it helps, here's the email I received from Musician's Friend:

Response Via Email(Carolyn) - 12/20/2013 09:56 AM Dear Vincent,

My name is Carolyn and I am contacting you in regards to order number SXXXXXX. Unfortunately, the Tribute ASAT Special Electric Guitar Regular Tobacco Sunburst Rosewood Fretboard / Regular,Tobacco Sunburst, item # H88866000001001 has been discontinued from the manufacturer. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Carolyn Bunnell

Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:45 am

I just recently bought the G&L Tribute ASAT Special TSB from an ebay seller. There where a couple of new ones around...
They go for [actual price deleted by Admin] shipped, or best offer... I also noticed that GC only had the blue one around when I was researching my options

Since I'm from Germany, I just checked the big T in over here (http://www.thomann.de), and they now also have them on backorder.
Delivery by the 17th of Jan. - for [actual price deleted by Admin] Euros though :o
Prices over here are pretty bad. There's just no real competition as so few sell G&L's I guess

C
Last edited by Craig on Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin deleted actual prices as they are not allowed.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Ah,

Sorry for that. Did not know the price board policy.

On a side note: after some weeks with my new baby I have to say that I'm really loving it! :D

There were 3 or 4 bad frets (not that bad really) higher up the neck which might have given me the twisted neck impression. There was also some light buzzing on the open high e string.

As I brought all my three guitar to a local luthier for a well deserved checkup he did a leveling on the frets and a full setup plus worked on the nut... And it's just great now!

This thing is so resonant and now plays like a champ (working on the nut cuts got rid of the sitar buzz, too). Still trying out to find the sweet spot with the MFDs and my gear but that was some little money we'll spend alright!

So if your really wanna pimp your tribute experience: get it to a good luthier and he'll really work wonders on the playability of the neck (or I just had a bit of a lemon?)

Anyhow: happy camper now :happy0065:

Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Craig wrote:
ProgRock wrote:Hello all. I'm a 45-year old prog rock fan and guitar player. I'm also a big fan of G&L guitars, especially the Tribute series. I have a Tribute ASAT deluxe carved top, and I ordered a Tribute ASAT Special in tobacco sunburst from Musician's Friend in November (the mahogony version). It was backordered, then finally they sent me an email claiming that the model has been discontinued. It's still on the G&L site, so I was wondering if anyone at the forum could confirm MF's claim. I have another Tribute ASAT Special on backorder, this time the blueburst ash version, and I wonder if I'm going to get another email from MF claiming that it has also been discontinued. Thanks for the help.

I have forwarded your post to Dave McLaren at G&L. G&L's offices and factory are currently on their annual December shutdown, so it may be a week or two until I heard
back from Dave. The Mahogany version of the Tribute ASAT Special just came out this year, so I would be surprised if it was discontinued so soon. It may be that they are
on backorder awaiting for another shipment from Indonesia.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Here's Dave's reply:

Hi Craig,

The ASAT Special in TSB over mahogany as shown on the G&L site is still in the line. Same with the Blueburst on swamp ash one.
It may be that MF isn’t carrying that model anymore, though. They don’t carry everything all the time, and we’re doing some special runs
for them coming up. So, my guess is that they’re talking about what they carry, not what G&L offers.

Thanks a lot, Craig.

Dave

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:59 am

Thanks Craig. Good to know that both models are still in production. But as I feared, Musician's Friend pushed back the ship date of my blurburst order again -- now it's April 18. But the good news is that I found a company in California called Studio Gears that has in stock the blueburst (ash), light tobacco sunburst (mahogany), and a limited edition green (ash) with maple neck. They're selling for more that what I would pay at Musician's Friend, but at least they're in stock. Now I just have to decide which one to buy! Thanks again.