Jazz Bass Style MFD....is it real?

Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:05 pm

There have been hopes and rumors for years about this pickup. I came across this thread on TalkBass https://www.talkbass.com/threads/g-l-jazz-mfd-jazz-pickups.1498405/#post-24866860
So there appears to be at least one set of J bass MFD's in the world, but I can find nothing about them on the G&L website. Does anybody know what's up?

Re: Jazz Bass Style MFD....is it real?

Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:54 pm

Ampig wrote:There have been hopes and rumors for years about this pickup. I came across this thread on TalkBass https://www.talkbass.com/threads/g-l-jazz-mfd-jazz-pickups.1498405/#post-24866860
So there appears to be at least one set of J bass MFD's in the world, but I can find nothing about them on the G&L website. Does anybody know what's up?

I did find this post [November 4, 2019] in CLF Research's facebook page:

So you guys figured out what John is working on: MFD jazz pickups. The first prototype pair are already loaded, which means now we get into the musical side.
More turns? Less turns? Change the wire gauge? Change the bobbin aperture? Change the magnets?
I think John showed Danny how to use the mini mill to do a straight cut across the pickup covers to clear the MFD pole pieces which still need fine tuning in their positioning.
The journey really begins now that we have something together to play with.

I have not seen anymore posts on this since, until the link you posted. So, it seems that they built some more and apparently handed out a pair to the owner in the TalkBass post.

My guess it got put on the back burner, with other projects being allocated resources to move ahead.

If I make it to the factory this year, I will ask Dave and Johnnie about this.
Last edited by Craig on Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed photo link

Re: Jazz Bass Style MFD....is it real?

Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:39 pm

The question is: Will these pickups be fundamentally different compared to the one used in the neck of the on the SB-2? Or if we go back even further in time, the pre-1985 SB-1/SB-2? A slightly smaller footprint maybe?

We'll see ...

- Jos