What's the neck like on a 2020 CLF Skyhawk?

Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:34 pm

I got bit by the GAS bug for a Clear Blue 2020 CLF Skyhawk some time in the last few weeks that's seeming increasingly hard to resist. I think the main thing holding me back would be the thought of plunking down that kind of cash w/o having handled the neck first.

The retailer (& the current G&L page) list it as a 9.5" radius, 1 11/16" wide nut, Modern C profile w/ medium jumbo frets which I would expect to wind up very similar to the last new G&L guitar I bought, a 2018 NAMM edition monkeypod Doheny. It's felt great to me but I'm not sure how much variation (if any) I should expect w/ this being a CLF version of a different model. I'd think a slightly chunkier profile would work well but I think slimmer &/or flatter profile stands a good chance to not.

I feel confident I could return it w/o too much hassle if it turned out to not gel well for me but I'd rather not waste all involved party's time & resources shipping it to me & back if the neck stands a good chance to wind up not my cup of tea.

Anyone care to share their experience of variation if any between the recent CLF Skyhawk neck & a 2018 Modern C?

Thanks for any feedback!

Re: What's the neck like on a 2020 CLF Skyhawk?

Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:53 pm

Sid Nitzerglobin wrote:I got bit by the GAS bug for a Clear Blue 2020 CLF Skyhawk some time in the last few weeks that's seeming increasingly hard to resist. I think the main thing holding me back would be the thought of plunking down that kind of cash w/o having handled the neck first.

The retailer (& the current G&L page) list it as a 9.5" radius, 1 11/16" wide nut, Modern C profile w/ medium jumbo frets which I would expect to wind up very similar to the last new G&L guitar I bought, a 2018 NAMM edition monkeypod Doheny. It's felt great to me but I'm not sure how much variation (if any) I should expect w/ this being a CLF version of a different model. I'd think a slightly chunkier profile would work well but I think slimmer &/or flatter profile stands a good chance to not.

I feel confident I could return it w/o too much hassle if it turned out to not gel well for me but I'd rather not waste all involved party's time & resources shipping it to me & back if the neck stands a good chance to wind up not my cup of tea.

Anyone care to share their experience of variation if any between the recent CLF Skyhawk neck & a 2018 Modern C?

Thanks for any feedback!

They both have the same specifications:
Modern Classic 1 11/16” nut width with 1 5/8” string spacing allows a generous edge roll for superb comfort without string fall-off.
Fairly slim with mild taper from 0.820” at 1st fret to 0.870” at the 12th fret.

The one's I have: 2016 ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 Semi-Hollow, 2017 Doheny, and 2018 CLF Research V-12 Doheny, all feel the same to me.

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:54 am

OK, cool. Thanks for the feedback!

Initial shipping estimate has this guy arriving tomorrow :D

Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:30 pm

Love that clear blue! I have a natural CLF Skyhawk - and the neck is great! Not too deep - plenty of room in width. Works in all positions.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:51 pm

Love that color combo. How'd it turn out?

For what it's worth, I have a 2016 Legacy (nitro finish) and just got a CLF Skyhawk HH. The necks are both Modern Classic, and with calipers they measure out as the exact same in width and depth at the nut and up the neck. The Skyhawk HH neck feels ever-so-slightly heftier - but that might be a subtle difference in the shoulders of the curve, or it could (maybe more likely) just be that those finishes feel slightly different. In any case I only notice it when I think about it.

Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:11 pm

Another happy owner here of a natural CLF Research Skyhawk (and a Doheny too). The neck is different from any Fender I have and I welcome the diverse feeling necks. Good to have choices. Lots of room here and tends to the wider side, not too deep and not thin slim either. I like that they did their own carve on this and it works well for all positions as others note.

Love that clear blue too!!

Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:14 pm

Yup, it's turned to be a great guitar all around for me so far & the neck is very similar to the Doheny. Really happy I bought it :)