Project Wunkay Rehab

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:46 am

This was from the G&L Facebook page - CLF RESEARCH CO.:

#projectwunkayrehab intro vid is the on the Tube, so hit the link to see what’s up

phpBB [video]

Re: Project Wunkay Rehab

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:51 am

I got started on the neck. At this point, the portion of the board that will be the maple fingerboard has been sliced off,
the two pieces are prepped and I’ve just routed the channels for the dual-action truss rod and supplemental rods.
This neck will feel like the best of old school CLFR necks due to hand craftsmanship but it’ll also be more stable due to technology.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:56 am

installing the dual-action rod and supplemental rods. Fits like a [glove] cause this bass is gonna punch like a [glove]

phpBB [video]

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:57 am

gettin that glue down

phpBB [video]

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:59 am

reunited and it feels so good. Got the grain lined up so nice it’s like the truss rod magically got in there.
It’s magically delicious! Actually, I’ve always liked the smell of Titebond glue. Any of you wood workers agree?

phpBB [video]

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:02 am

getting started removing the J pickup route. First I’m gonna get out that old foam and see what we’ve got.

The foam peeled right out, which of course left the adhesive goo which sorta melts over years. A few minutes later and we see a pretty clean route. Nice job, whoever did this, but it’s time for this 40 year old soldier to return to being a proper L-1000.

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 am

I just pulled some glued up neck blanks out of the old Taylor clamp. Now let me find the one I need...

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:06 am

the neck blank is glued up and now I’m gonna put it in a dehumidified room while I take measurements of the old neck and make some notes.

This neck is gonna have so much woody character and those ghost flames are gonna show up with the finish. Now back to work...

phpBB [video]

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:12 am

I need a pencil and Leo delivers. I’ll return it to his drafting table after I take notes for #projectwunkayrehab

Stumbled on a few CLFR workbench top jigs from the ‘70s and ‘80s while trying to find an ancient piece of mahogany for #projectwunkayrehab

How about wooden prototype template for a Stingray guitar? Must be 1975. This is why I can’t find anything. I go looking and something else interesting gets my attention. Ok, return to the dust you old template, I need some ancient mahogany!

1981 wooden prototype template with notes from George Fullerton. It says “this pattern for a 24 fret neck” but I’m gonna guess he meant 24 3/4” scale as this looks very much like the short-lived G-200 guitar that would be launched the same year.

...and finally a beautiful chunk of old mahogany for #projectwunkayrehab. Does it need to be old? Nah, but it’d be a lot cooler ; )

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:21 am

I’m taking measurements of the original 1980 neck

Josh is making a template to buzz out the J pickup pocket

Let the wood chips roll

A few passes through template gives us a peek at fresh cut 40 year old mahogany

phpBB [video]

rollin tape to make some deep cuts

phpBB [video]

The template got this magic mahogany mining operation started

Josh made about four more delicate passes to clean out the bottom of the J route

phpBB [video]

If you follow this account you should not think this is weird ; )

phpBB [video]

Ok is this weird? The mahogany chips can wait in Leo’s desk drawer until the project is complete and ready to go back to Rob Wolanski. This way the mahogany chips can absorb massive mojo, even through the plastic bag. It’s powerful stuff, kids. ; )

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:27 am

Josh eyeballing that grain to take a nice slice for #projectwunkayrehab

Almost ready to plug in

Titebond glue massage

phpBB [video]

Filling the void

phpBB [video]

Josh shaving down the plug Now before you say anything, Josh glued in the plug late yesterday but I just posted today.
It’s not like we just slammed glue in there and half an hour later go at it with a rasp

Josh...dayum son, that’s clean! It actually looks like some idiot just scraped the lacquer off the body but never routed it.
This is good news for the finish repair work ahead

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:49 pm

I want to let the plug settle in the body of #projectwunkayrehab before starting paint repair.
But....I need a place to stash it. I want somewhere out of the way but still easily accessible and has
a strong mojo feel. My brain: 1) the cart behind Leo’s office desk, meh, yeah mkay 2) next to CLFR
prototypes from late ‘60s and mid ‘80s, oooh...but nah, guitars 3) on Leo’s drafting chair, duh, too
easy to fall off 4) dark box in the cobweb zone under Leo’s tech bench in the lab. Yep, that’ll do it.
Hang out there with whatever magical or frightening things may be down there. : )

Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 am

Today we are going to make some delightful maplewood chips following my grandmother’s secret recipe.
When we were children, the sweet scent of grandmother’s maplewood chips wafting through the springtime air
made us all rush to the kitchen house at our little farm on Martha’s Vinyard. I often reflect on those cherished
memories over drinks and maplewood chips with my friend Doctor Evil, whose fondness for his own childhood is
simply heartwarming.

commencing countdown engines on #projectwunkayrehab

Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:56 am

Those tuners gotta go somewhere

phpBB [video]

now gimme some screw holes for those tuners. Even if they get kinda gummed up with finish
at least they’re perfectly placed pilot holes

phpBB [video]

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Ok turn over, now we will exfoliate your face...on your head...stock

phpBB [video]

Now let’s give it a shave

phpBB [video]

Perimeter rough cut. Hey it actually looks like a neck and not just a rectangle

phpBB [video]

...and the cleanup cut

phpBB [video]

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:02 pm

magical maple mojo

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:03 pm

I just hit up Ed at G&L Custom Shop about doing localized nitro repair of the filled area. Prep work is the key

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:04 pm

chillin after dark

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:01 am

Rough cutting the back shape on #projectwunkayrehab

phpBB [video]

Things are shaping up

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:03 am

7:08 of a sharp ball end mill to rough rut the radius. So don’t tell me you want your seven minutes back.
You’ve been warned

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:04 am

...and some holes for the face dots. Well that was easy

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:07 am

Looking at this makes me feel like it needs dots stat

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:11 am

I’m rockin those tasty maplewood chips all over my cool G&L shirt from the crew at Musik Wein in Germany

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:13 am

Just a drop of Titebond glue here...

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:16 am

Josh putting the frosting on the cupcakes

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:18 am

In ya go

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:21 am

Josh putting the sprinkles on those cupcakes

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:22 am

A few pulls on an old Famco arbor press to seat the dots

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:23 am

Josh giving those dots a quick shave on an original Leo dead-head sander.

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:25 am

Josh cleaning up the radius with a 9.5” radius StewMac sanding block. You may notice pencil marks approximately
where the frets go. That’s to help him see where he has covered and where he might need to hit a little more.
It’s called experience, something that you can’t order from StewMac

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:26 am

almost there...

phpBB [video]

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:28 am

I think you’ll find this clip #satisfying like I do

phpBB [video]

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:31 am

This update was emailed to the G&L Player's Update mailing list:

Project Wunkay Rehab is in full effect. Rob Wolanski's 1980 L-1000 is getting close to completion. #projectwunkayrehab
Check it out on Youtube:
https://youtu.be/QpjGdAlRPpY

Check out Part 1:
https://youtu.be/Pjfg4TC6T6Q

†The personal name, likeness and signature of Mr. Clarence Leo Fender are property of G&L Musical Instruments / BBE Sound, Inc. G&L is not associated with Fender Musical Instruments Corporation (FMIC).
© 2020 G&L Musical Instruments 2548 Fender Avenue, Fullerton, California 92831 Tel (714)897-6766

phpBB [video]