Re: New G&L Facebook page - CLF RESEARCH CO.

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:08 pm

My pet project has a name: #project1979S500 because I’m going for a retro CLFR vibe.
On my development mule it looks like the headstock artwork lines up nicely and the aluminum pickguard fits well.
I’m also thinking about using the bass dots like the early G&L and Music Man guitars made here.

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Leo’s Lounge is being used for something so I have to settle for Leo’s Lab to test #project1979S500. The struggle is not real. ; )

Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:10 pm

I’m stuck in the lab playing whatever is in here that works. The CLF-75G1 prototype from 1975 is working great
and a lot of fun to play. The styling is clearly George Fullerton’s predecessor to his Skyhawk (Nighthawk etc.) forms.
The CLF-75G1 was never put into production.

Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:42 am

the 75g1 prototype is a very interesting looking guitar. Big Knobs,Switch plate and pickups the all work together. George was a true artist.
I would like to hear those pickups. I just looks fun to play.

y2kc

Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:57 am

Also the color is fantastic!

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:58 am

Love the S-500 build. Still trying to figure out what is trailing off the S on the logo. CLF Research knobs and aluminum guard are sweet.
Cheers, Dan

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:08 am

WitSok wrote:Love the S-500 build. Still trying to figure out what is trailing off the S on the logo.

Hot Rod style Flames

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:13 am

I like the logo having personality - Now they need a Doheny logo with a wave cresting :)

(I do still miss the visual appearance of the bullet rod adjust - since the above guitar has the metal string retainer, it looks like someone stole the truss bullet in my mind!)

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:42 am

Given the choice between a model logo or model delete logo, I'd choose the model logo. I love painted headstocks, wish the model logo was standard with the painted headstock instead if model delete. I understand for black this creates need to an additional logo as many of the models are just plain black text. Some sort of crashing wave logo would be nice on a Doheny.

Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Almost got this pickup tester (nicknamed a “breadboard instrument”) working but then poof, need to do a bit of soldering. I love this one because it spans all of Leo’s brands. It started in the 1960s at Fender, in the mid 1970s a Stingray neck was added, and perhaps late 1970s to early 1980s MFD single coils mounted to a test board were fitted. Maybe tomorrow I can find some time to fix this and I’ll bet Steve will want to film a little clip with it.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:20 am

I needed an adapter from RCA to 1/4” to use the breadboard instrument in the lounge.
Well, I figured I’d give the lab another look, not expecting to find one cause I kinda looked yesterday.
This is what I’d do before just making one in like 5 minutes. Ha! Procrastination pays off: I found one
in a box in the sketchy cobweb zone.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:21 am

Stopped by G&L Custom Shop to do some soldering and quick spritz clean of the electronics on the breadboard bass.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:23 am

It’s alive!!!

phpBB [video]

Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:47 pm

ASAT Classic neck pickup coils hanging out at the spa getting a thorough wax treatment. ; )

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:03 pm

A few years ago Tom Hamilton sent me this L-2500 back and now it hangs on my office wall.
He wasn’t really using it cause it was kinda heavy, and I guess this was probably one of those rush things,
like when the tech calls and says “you guys got a 2500 that we can get to the hotel by Wednesday?” Anyway,
literally just now I noticed some wear and I feel kinda bad that Tom played this thing way more than I figured.
I kinda assumed it had always been a wallflower...huh. Hopefully the extra light basses we’ve sent since have
given his back a break, not break his back. ; )

Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:07 pm

If you follow G&L Musical Instruments then you’ve already seen the new CLFR L-2500.
This was a pet project of mine to make the L-2500 vibe like it could have been made here in
1980 not 2020. Vintage bass geeks: note the detail in the logo art. That’s my jam right there and
I know some of you appreciate that level of geekery

Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:09 pm

I am in love with this chonky monkey. Why have I never done this before? I mean, wth have I been doing?
Someone asked if the CLFR L-2500 has a control plate. Yes, yes it does...milled from aluminum just like those
glorious machined CLF knobs, all coated in highly polished chrome by our old friend and badass, plating magician Vince.
Got those color-coded mini-toggle switch tips for the full CLFR / NASA shuttle mission control module effect.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:47 pm

Craig wrote:
I’m stuck in the lab playing whatever is in here that works. The CLF-75G1 prototype from 1975 is working great
and a lot of fun to play. The styling is clearly George Fullerton’s predecessor to his Skyhawk (Nighthawk etc.) forms.

This prototype is perhaps my favorite "MusicMan" / "G&L" ever.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:16 am

I agree, the coolest musician i have seen. George nailed it with that one.
y2kc

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:01 pm

I’m deep in the land that time forgot...but I didn’t : )

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:02 pm

Was hunting for a few bits while working on Leo’s old Davis & Wells stroke sander.
Here is a machine that might literally run forever as long as we take care of it. And we do. : )

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:03 pm

Abort mission and get the hell out of here. Sounded like something got thrown around up there.
Twice, the second time as I was walking up the stairs to have a look. I don’t see anything but damn,
I still get spooked from time to time.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:04 pm

Leo drew this simple wiring diagram for a late style SB-2. Not much to see here, kids! : )

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:05 pm

Ancient samples sent from Helmut Schaller to Leo Fender. My guess is Leo removed the covers to have a good look inside.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:07 pm

Put this baby in the project pile: Found a 2009 aged nitro blonde swamp ash L-2000 body in CLFR random land.
It was pre-aged but 11 years of doing nothing has made it check more, as nitro does ; )

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:08 pm

Who wants to hear the 1975 CLF-75B1 prototype in action at Leo’s Lounge? Well, here ya go: Jayme Lewis laid down some grooves

phpBB [video]

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:09 pm

It’s project time! I’ve been taking apart this 1980 mahogany L-1000 which belongs to our friend Rob Wolanski.
I heard it had a sketchy neck so I got him to send me the whole bass from Canada so I can check it out. I just filmed
me taking it apart and talking about my game plan for this lovely wunkay. I’m also ready to tackle a project involving
a modded SC-1 owned by our friend Robert Poss. There won’t be any un-modding of his guitar, but that I think that
project will take a bit more effort than this one will. Might make sense later : )

Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:10 pm

Thanks to my brother John, Leo’s Lounge now has two backlit EXIT signs. I frickin’ love playing pretend nightclub owner. : )

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:00 pm

Dig these double bound semihollows

Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:01 pm

Leo Fender’s darkroom built into his house allowed him develop to film and make prints at home.
He loved cameras and their complex mechanical workings. Wasn’t great at photography, but he loved
messing with the gear. Sounds like some musicians I know...wait, is that me?

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:43 am

Lacking Talent wrote:
Craig wrote:

This prototype is perhaps my favorite "MusicMan" / "G&L" ever.

y2kc wrote:I agree, the coolest musician i have seen. George nailed it with that one.
y2kc

Can only hope the CLF-75G1 will follow the Espada into production!

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:58 pm

#projectwunkayrehab intro vid is on the CLF Research YouTube, so hit the link to see what’s up.

phpBB [video]

Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:15 am

Yo, I heard you might like a demo of this breadboard pickup tester as left by Leo Fender.
Yeah, I thought so. Me too. I don’t know what it really sounds like so Steve is gonna do the honors.
If you haven’t already, go to the CLF Research YouTube channel and watch the vid about
Leo’s “Breadboard” instruments. That way you know what’s up with this thing and the demo is just the demo,
you don’t have to suffer through me rambling in TMI city about the same thing. Deal?

phpBB [video]

Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:12 pm

The original necks from #projectwunkayrehab and #projectpossmachine hangin in the Woodshop for reference.
It’s been nearly 40 years since these two made in here.

Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:02 am

Leo Fender’s work as he was developing his new Dual Fulcrum vibrato in the late 1970s.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:49 am

Due to some issues I am having with the new version of Facebook, I will no longer replicate the facebook posts here,
but instead, I will include a link (which will display in a new tab) for those who wish to continue following the
CLF Research facebook page.