Re: New G&L Facebook page - CLF RESEARCH CO.

Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:41 pm

LOL re Fake Broadcasters...

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:58 am

Craig wrote:
Heads up

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=41326&g2_serialNumber=3

Why the heads up?

Tom

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:24 am

FZTNT wrote:

Why the heads up?

Tom

Oops :oops: I used the wrong bbCode ,,,
I fixed the post above ... here is the pic:

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:07 pm

Carmen doing her thing since 1985

Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:30 pm

It’s snowing metal flakes

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:39 pm

March 17, 1980: George Fullerton still making small adjustments to the first G&L guitar headstock design.

Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Craig wrote:

Oops :oops: I used the wrong bbCode ,,,
I fixed the post above ... here is the pic:

OK, I get it now...you were referring to the headstocks as "heads" up. Good pun. I thought you were issuing some sort of warning about fake Broadcasters...

Tom

Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:23 pm

An old friend John Jorgenson

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:39 pm

Great pic of Leo here in the lab around 1977. The photo is sitting on the same chair Leo was sitting on when the photo was taken. How cool is that?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:40 pm

Espada love

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:42 pm

Freddie Tavares wrote this song “On Your Plenty-Ninth Birthday” for our dad, John C. McLaren, on his 50th birthday. Learn more in the full video. https://youtu.be/TctbLng2_aY -Dave and Johnny McLaren CLF Research

phpBB [video]

Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:44 pm

But the chair Leo is sitting in has arms .... :searching:

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:57 pm

tomanche wrote:But the chair Leo is sitting in has arms .... :searching:

Someone posted this on that thread:
Only if the armrest was removed.

Dave then posted:
CLF Research Mike Rigby yeah I figured out it’s the green armchair. Gimme a mulligan on this one ; )

Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:12 pm

Sorry to my friend Murphy Karges for taking forever to post these pics of his beloved SB-2, the one that he played on Sugar Ray hits including “Fly” and more. Serial number B023699 was completed here on January 5, 1993.

Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:14 pm

Science!

Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:10 pm

Sugar Ray has had a few bassists I think; I need to ask my guitar teacher if this is the one he is friends with. Way too excited to hear there's a G&L connection there.

I need to mention - Sugar Ray is probably one of my top five 'nostalgia' bands, seeing them play in San Diego at a festival near the beach a couple years ago basically felt more like Summer that just about any other moment possibly could. I probably appreciate the band more than anyone really should.

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:48 am

Johnny was all over this 1972 Rhodes Seventy Three owned by Gerry Nestler. Plays much better now. : )

phpBB [video]

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:49 am

Shhh...nothing to see here. ; )

Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:28 pm

Dave Brown at the G&L Custom Shop caught me doing a quick shave of the fret ends on my 2002 ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow.
Now back to wailing 38 Special.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:40 am

New Gear Day: I bought this Universal Audio interface for the lounge studio.

Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:02 pm

Like if you know why this 1976 neck reminds me of the movie Toy Story. : )

Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:48 pm

I think it would be cool use one of Leo’s briefcases at NAMM in January. Probably go to meetings I don’t really need to attend, just to show it off. ; )

Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:35 pm

John is drilling out a blank jazz bass pickup cover. What do you think he’s developing?

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:28 am

I see Mic Dangerously has his Fallout in for a little massage.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:53 pm

So you guys figured out what John is working on: MFD jazz pickups. The first prototype pair are already loaded, which means now we get into the musical side. More turns? Less turns? Change the wire gauge? Change the bobbin aperture? Change the magnets?

I think John showed Danny how to use the mini mill to do a straight cut across the pickup covers to clear the MFD pole pieces which still need fine tuning in their positioning. The journey really begins now that we have something together to play with.

Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:50 pm

love the knobs on the fallout!

Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:16 am

Leo signed this artist’s G&L Cavalier here in the lab. The photo says 1984 on the back. Can anyone positively ID him? Let’s not turn this into a sh*t show, guys, I really want to know

Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:11 am

Feeling the cool evening autumn air in Fullerton as a freight train passes behind me. A mile down the same track passes where the Fender factory was. I bet that freight train is passing there now.

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:00 pm

The Green Machine and I are gonna have some fun.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Messing around with some lights in Leo’s Lounge. This is about the best we can come up with without reading the manual or having lunch yet. I kinda dig it though.

Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:04 pm

Steve Austin, astronaut. A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.
-Oscar Goldman

Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Roasted quartersawn flame maple. This feels like if G&L opened the custom shop in 1980 and I’m McLovin’ it. G&L Custom Shop is making some stuff that is blowing my mind.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Hangin’ out in Leo’s lab with my friend Ralf Rohrbach, owner of Musik Wein which distributes G&L in Germany. Ralf is holding the CLF-67/68 prototype.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:48 pm

We had a wonderful visit from our old friend and Leo’s friend too, Rob Joly, whose kind of an industry legend. He and his store Jim's Music Center started the careers of many musicians and industry people. Here’s me and Rob with his beloved old G&L El Toro.

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:43 pm

Phyllis Fender stopped by to visit John and me. No, we’re not holding her up, she’s fine, she just likes holding hands a lot. Anyway, I hit her up about hanging out with us and telling stories on my CLF Research YouTube channel. She’s totally on board, so this should be fun! : )

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:26 pm

Say hello to Rob Joly’s old El Toro, probably given to him by Leo, my guess in 1984. I can’t find a serial number so I’ll have to get Rob to see if he can remember what was up.

Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:29 pm

R&D MFD round 2

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:27 pm

Click the link for a YouTube intro to my CLF Research Project Instruments. If you’ve been following here for a while, you know I start with a decades old body or neck and build out a complete instrument. There's always a few surprises in store, from finding ancient parts in dusty old bins to fabricating what can't be found inside Leo Fender's historic CLF Research factory on Fender Avenue in Fullerton, California.
https://youtu.be/FmtZ3uuMptE

Here is the video inline, just click on it to view directly:
phpBB [video]

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:45 pm

Well, this sucks. The mains fuse just popped. We’ll check it out later and get it sorted.

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:46 pm

Calling in backup: this dusty character fired up but I think it will also need medical attention soon.

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:46 pm

Doctor Brown took care of the patient, and I’m pleased to report a complete recovery.

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:52 pm

Glad he had the right sized hammer for the job :)

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:48 pm

Natural progression

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:55 am

Gotta adjust the truss rod on my 2002 ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow. I backed it off a little and now it’s good to go. Man, I love this guitar.

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:56 am

Sisters born in the same home 35 years apart.

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:56 am

An original Leo Fender business card here in his office. I’m sending this card to someone who really made my day during the NAMM show back in January.

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:57 am

All hail the mighty 1987 ASAT. The original ASAT and still my favorite in what we call ASAT Special today. The Anti-Satellite.

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:58 am

MFD power for a new generation. Two original 1981 masterpieces from the house of Leo.

Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:59 am

"See you in the morning!"

Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:01 am

Well I’m proud of my total MacGyver job using chopped off photography tripod parts to mount lights on top of the QSC speakers. I bet there’s a solution out there, but me and Home Depot got it done.