Examples of "Model logo delete" headstock option

Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Photos are from G&L's Facebook page.
Note: These photos were taken with a cellphone camera under G&L Factory lighting.

Black on Silver logo on Vintage Tint Satin finish headstock

Black on Silver logo on Clear Gloss finish headstock

Silver on Black logo on Black finish headstock

Black on Silver logo on Fullerton Red finish headstock

Silver on Black logo on Royal Purple finish headstock

Silver on Black logo on Blackburst finish headstock

Black on Silver logo on Yukon Gold Metallic finish headstock

Silver on Black logo on Greenburst finish headstock

Silver on Black logo on Graphite Metallic finish headstock

Black on Silver logo on Reverse headstock

Black on Silver logo on White finish headstock

Black on Silver logo on Silver MF finish headstock

Last edited by Craig on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Added more images

Re: Examples of "Model logo delete" headstock option

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Boy is this cool.I much prefer this to the model script. -- Darwin

Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:44 pm

darwinohm wrote:Boy is this cool.I much prefer this to the model script. -- Darwin

Same here. I wonder why they just don't make this the standard. Put the model name somewhere else, or in a small script, if it's really considered to be necessary.

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:08 pm

My Fallout SS is that way as all SS series guitars , I could have got my Comanche replacement neck the same way ..... I'm kinda " up in the air " as far as what I like better , I like being able to see what model it is quickly , but the clean appearance of the NO model decal looks nice and uncluttered

Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:28 pm

My last 2 orders both came this way, I really like it on painted headstocks

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:49 pm

Yes, very nice.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:26 am

Thanks for posting the various examples Craig! G&L has the options department covered.

As far as this one goes, I think I am with Jeff. Looks good on the painted HS but on the natural ones something seems 'lacking' - not 'talent' mind you... ;)

Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:05 am

OK for some but not for me.

It just seems incomplete, I like seeing "ASAT" on my guitars.

Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:05 am

I like having the model name on the HS. The font used for the ASAT, Legacy, and Comanche look great and are classy in my opinion. For models with less noticeable font, like SC-2, Fallout, F-100... I do think it would be okay, but given the choice I'd still elected to have the model name included.

What does seem wrong is no "Guitars by Leo" under the logo. That makes it look very incomplete to me.

Dan

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Great examples. Man, who the heck approved the new Legacy headstock artwork?... Ugh!

Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:59 pm

mojokorn wrote:Great examples. Man, who the heck approved the new Legacy headstock artwork?... Ugh!

These are an option, and many dealers and customers like them. See: March 1, 2016-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:08 am

mojokorn wrote:Great examples. Man, who the heck approved the new Legacy headstock artwork?... Ugh!

That black on silver look is my favorite one.
Last edited by Zemlicka on Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:16 am

In December of '65 CBS decided to enlarge the model text ("stratocaster") on the headstock of the new Stratocasters. There wasn't enough room to do so (without making it look crowded) so they made the headstock larger - noticeably larger, and changed the shape slightly to accommodate the larger text. A lot of people thought that the new headstock was ... not as good as the old headstock, and those who understood that the reason for the change had nothing to do with art or sound, and everything to do with CBS' efforts to capitalize on the model/brand, were less impressed given that many felt the instrument (by that time) already on it's own merit - everyone knew what a Stratocaster looked like, they didn't need an over sized model name on an over sized headstock to tell them which model was the Stratocaster.

I'm reminded of that history when I look at the larger than necessary model decal on all of G&L guitars' headstocks.

I guess I am old school - really old school - in that I think the model name looks better when it is understated - letting the brand name take center stage (I'd make the text the same as the "Guitars by Leo"/"U.S.A" text, and put it in beneath the logo).

If they have an option like that, then that is how I would go. Shy of this, I would definitely do the model delete option, as I think the enlarged model makes it look like the guitar is overcompensating for an inferiority complex. Note: I'm purposely overstating that for the comedic effect ;^) .

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:43 am

The G&L options are getting better & better all the time.