Saddle lock bridge screws question (was the bridge taken off

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Hello, Everybody! I know I'm a bit picky but I need to ask You a question:

I bought a Jerry Cantrell Tribute Superhawk and noticed that the screws at the sides of the bridge look like they were treated with too much tension on a screwdriver. (It's hard for me to describe it in english – You know what happens to a screw head when the screwdriver skips and blunts the cuts). I think it's very unlikely that it was made in the factory but it would also be strange if the previous owner messed with the bridge, took it off and then replaced...

Does anybody have a saddle lock bridge with the "(ab)used" screws and can confirm it was so right after the guitar was made? Thanks in advance for Your replies... I'm thinking about selling the guitar as I can't stand the thought that it was messed with in such a stupid way – what else could have happened to it?
Last edited by StopaWerbel on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Saddle lock bridge screws question (was the bridge taken

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:58 pm

StopaWerbel wrote:Hello, Everybody! I know I'm a bit picky but I need to ask You a question:

I bought a Jerry Cantrell Tribute Superhawk and noticed that the screws at the sides of the bridge look like they were treated with too much tension on a screwdriver. (It's hard for me to describe it in english – You know what happens to a screw head when the screwdriver skips and blunts the cuts). I think it's very unlikely that it was made in the factory but it would also be strange if the previous owner messed with the bridge, took it off and then replaced...

Does anybody have a saddle lock bridge with the "(ab)used" screwsand can confirm it was so right after the guitar was made? Thanks in advance for Your replies... I'm thinking about selling the guitar as I can't stand the thought that it was messed with in such a stupid way – what else could have happened to it?

Please post a photo showing these screws. See Tutorial: Posting photos.

BTW, there is only one screw on the side of the bridge and that is an Allen screw used to lock the saddles together.

I think you are talking about the five screws used to mount the bridge to the body, right?

:ugeek:

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:28 am

Here are the pictures. Yes, it's about the screws that mount the bridge to the body. Three of them look untouched but those two not.

Saddle Lock Bridge by StopaWerbel, on Flickr
Saddle Lock Bridge by StopaWerbel, on Flickr

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Those two outside screws look pretty messed up. It definitely looks like someone at least -- attempted to remove them -- and stripped them--either using wrong sized driver or just by not being careful.

Unless the screws are loose, or you wanted to remove the bridge yourself, I don't see an issue. I don't see how those screws are ever going to come out now with just a screwdriver

If you really like the guitar, I would just play it and not worry about it.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:59 pm

suave eddie wrote:Those two outside screws look pretty messed up. It definitely looks like someone at least -- attempted to remove them -- and stripped them--either using wrong sized driver or just by not being careful.

Unless the screws are loose, or you wanted to remove the bridge yourself, I don't see an issue. I don't see how those screws are ever going to come out now with just a screwdriver

My suspicion is that maybe somebody wanted to tighten the screws not to remove them, as they are stripped 'in the direction of turning in'. Even if they were removed – does it affect the wood, sound, sustain or anything?

So You wouldn't make fuss about it? It plays great – the only problem is in fact with me ;) The thought that 'something' is not correct is really annoying...

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:12 pm

StopaWerbel wrote:
suave eddie wrote:Those two outside screws look pretty messed up. It definitely looks like someone at least -- attempted to remove them -- and stripped them--either using wrong sized driver or just by not being careful.

My suspicion is that maybe somebody wanted to tighten the screws not to remove them, as they are stripped 'in the direction of turning in'. Even if they were removed – does it affect the wood, sound, sustain or anything?

So You wouldn't make fuss about it? It plays great – the only problem is in fact with me ;) The thought that 'something' is not correct is really annoying...

I personally wouldn't bother with it if I liked the guitar otherwise. If it bothers you enough you can get a "screw extractor" tool like this http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece-s ... 40349.html and replace the screws. I think it is only cosmetic--and minor at that.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Thank You, Suave Eddie. I think it would even be possible to remove them using the screwdriver – they are ok 'in this direction' (I feel that I'm describing those technical details like a troglodyte, excuse me). But I couldn't find the replacement screws neither in the G&L online store, nor on ebay. Do You know where to look for them?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:31 pm

I would think that the factory would be able to provide replacement screws. Perhaps when Craig sees this he may be able to help you source them. That would be great if they could be removed simply with just a screwdriver.

Good luck.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:14 pm

StopaWerbel wrote:Hello, Everybody! I know I'm a bit picky but I need to ask You a question:

Does anybody have a saddle lock bridge with the "(ab)used" screws and can confirm it was so right after the guitar was made? Thanks in advance for Your replies... I'm thinking about selling the guitar as I can't stand the thought that it was messed with in such a stupid way – what else could have happened to it?

suave eddie wrote:I would think that the factory would be able to provide replacement screws. Perhaps when Craig sees this he may be able to help you source them. That would be great if they could be removed simply with just a screwdriver.

Good luck.

Hello StopaWerbel. :wave:
I have emailed my contacts at G&L about the size and source of these screws.
BTW, where are you located?

Stay tuned.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:30 pm

StopaWerbel wrote:Thank You, Suave Eddie. I think it would even be possible to remove them using the screwdriver – they are ok 'in this direction' (I feel that I'm describing those technical details like a troglodyte, excuse me). But I couldn't find the replacement screws neither in the G&L online store, nor on ebay. Do You know where to look for them?

I'm not sure if English is your native language or not, but in any case you seem to be able to describe your issue clearly. Those screw heads are definitely stripped.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm from Poland and english is not my native language. I'm glad to hear that I'm being understood :)

BTW I have quite a G&L gem (I guess) here (and G&Ls are NOT common in Poland) which I bought about 10 years ago without even knowing what it was. Now that I'm finally registered here, I'll soon take a few pics and post in the appropriate board. It's an ASAT Classic with pearl-like tuning key heads – they are quite rare, aren't they?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Craig wrote:Hello StopaWerbel. :wave:
I have emailed my contacts at G&L about the size and source of these screws.
BTW, where are you located?

Stay tuned.

I heard back from one of my contacts. PM or EM me with your shipping address and they will send you replacement screws at no cost to you.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks, Craig! That's very kind of You and Them :)

Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:43 pm

I bought a chrome version of this recently and the outer screws stripped when test fitting. If anyone knows a source for these screws i would greatly appreciate it. I tried contacting G&L but received no response. Thanks.

Jon

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:04 pm

Marbs wrote:I bought a chrome version of this recently and the outer screws stripped when test fitting. If anyone knows a source for these screws i would greatly appreciate it. I tried contacting G&L but received no response. Thanks.

Jon

Who did you contact at G&L and when was it?

Are the screw heads stripped like the OP's? Can you post a photo of where it is stripped?

Have you tried your local hardware store(s) to get a matched screw?

Since this is your first post, please do post an introduction post in our Introductions sub-forum.
Also check out this post: Welcome! Read This First.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:45 pm

Craig wrote:
Marbs wrote:I bought a chrome version of this recently and the outer screws stripped when test fitting. If anyone knows a source for these screws i would greatly appreciate it. I tried contacting G&L but received no response. Thanks.

Jon

Are the screw heads stripped like the OP's? Can you post a photo of where it is stripped?

Since this is your first post, please do post an introduction post in our Introductions sub-forum.

Sorry about not introducing myself. I have added a post in the introductions forum. I didn't have a particular contact at G&L so I emailed the generic customer service address for the G&L parts store.

As far as what I did to the screws, the heads themselves are stripped. I was able to back them out but am not going to try to use them. I was able to find a comparable replacement for the three back screws but the two outside with the odd head have been impossible to find at any fastener store. Any help would be appreciated. This bridge is being used for a new build and I really like it.

Jon

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:31 am

Marbs wrote:
Craig wrote:

Jon

Sorry about not introducing myself. I have added a post in the introductions forum. I didn't have a particular contact at G&L so I emailed the generic customer service address for the G&L parts store.

As far as what I did to the screws, the heads themselves are stripped. I was able to back them out but am not going to try to use them. I was able to find a comparable replacement for the three back screws but the two outside with the odd head have been impossible to find at any fastener store. Any help would be appreciated. This bridge is being used for a new build and I really like it.

Jon

Contact Ben Rush at repairs@glguitars.com and include photo of damaged screws and describe how they got damaged and that you tried to find local replacements.

Hope this helps.

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:56 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. Haven't heard back since i emailed last Wednesday but I am still holding out hope. If nothing comes of it i will just keep looking for an alternative. Again, thank you.

Jon