New G&L owner looking for tech tips please

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:47 am

Hello all, I've just got my first G&L ... a 2003 ASAT Tribute Special.

Here's a pic for your enjoyment:

The guitar came in good condition, albeit with no tools, papers, G&L case etc. It plays wonderfully and I already love it.

I have two questions.

1] There is something missing from inside the saddle-lock bridge so I can not loosen the lock to adjust the saddles. I presume this is some kind of hex-nut that was loosened too much and lost at some point. Is there a simple / easy / inexpensive solution? Or, do I need a new bridge?

2] What are the recommended specs for pickup height and individual pole-piece adjustment?

Many thanks
:)

Re: New G&L owner looking for tech tips please

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:11 am

Close2u wrote:1] There is something missing from inside the saddle-lock bridge so I can not loosen the lock to adjust the saddles. I presume this is some kind of hex-nut that was loosened too much and lost at some point. Is there a simple / easy / inexpensive solution? Or, do I need a new bridge?

2] What are the recommended specs for pickup height and individual pole-piece adjustment?

Many thanks

For the pickup height, I'd refer to the specs page on this forum.

As to the saddle-lock problem, yes, the proper size hex wrench fits in the hole on the side of the bridge. I couldn't quite understand the problem - you state that you can't adjust the individual saddles, but you also say it was loosened too much and lost. Are the saddles scrunched together too tight, or are they loose? I'm kinda confused.

Will

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:44 am

To help you navigate our site, see: Welcome! Read This First.

:ugeek:

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:52 am

Craig wrote:To help you navigate our site, see: Welcome! Read This First.

Thanks Craig - I'm looking around and familiarisingmyself a little. :)

helle-man wrote:
Close2u wrote:For the pickup height, I'd refer to the specs page on this forum.

Okay - found it, thanks.

As to the saddle-lock problem, yes, the proper size hex wrench fits in the hole on the side of the bridge. I couldn't quite understand the problem - you state that you can't adjust the individual saddles, but you also say it was loosened too much and lost. Are the saddles scrunched together too tight, or are they loose? I'm kinda confused.

Will

Thanks Will ... well something has come out / is snapped / missing ... I have looked in very closely and can not see any hex-shaped part ... just a little gap until I see what seems to be a flat-faced metal part. No hex key of about the right size gets any purchase. The saddles are squeezed quite tight. I can see something pressing against them from the side of the top e string. They can be adjusted a little but I would rather be able to loosen them fully first.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:06 am

Close2u wrote:

Thanks Will ... well something has come out / is snapped / missing ... I have looked in very closely and can not see any hex-shaped part ... just a little gap until I see what seems to be a flat-faced metal part. No hex key of about the right size gets any purchase. The saddles are squeezed quite tight. I can see something pressing against them from the side of the top e string. They can be adjusted a little but I would rather be able to loosen them fully first.

It may be that the nylon bushing is still in the set screw hole up against the saddle. You should be able to adjust the individual saddles with the set screw gone.
To get replacement allen screws and nylon bushings, see this post: Does anyone know where I could get a saddle lock screw?

Hope this helps.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:46 am

THanks for that.

Oh boy - shipping $25 to England.

I'll try to find a UK supplier.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:34 am

Close2u wrote:THanks for that.

Oh boy - shipping $25 to England.

I'll try to find a UK supplier.

Did you try the USPS option, which is the mailing option?

SHIPPING COST
You may choose to ship by USPS or UPS and the cost of shipping options for your order will be shown at checkout before payment is required. This way you will see how much it costs to ship your order before you commit to purchasing.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:04 am

@ Craig

I did
$25 was the cheapest by a long way.

Ah well.

I'd like to ask ... beyond the disappoinment that a fine 2nd hand purchase has this one 'fault' ... how much of a problem do I have? Is not having the screw in there a major problem re: set up etc?

Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:44 am

If the threads are the same as the DFV set screw, it seems possible to find some at a hardware store;
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8917

You should be able to set it up fine without, and simply tighten it all up once you have the part.

elwood

Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:29 am

I think you're making too much about the importance of that little screw. A lot of G&L owners don't even use it.

It sounded like your original problem was the tightness of the bridge saddles. If that's the only problem, forget the missing/damaged screw. I would unscrew the intonation screw for the high E saddle, take the saddle out completely and see if you can see the problem with that saddle-lock screw or the nylon bushing. Worst case scenario is filing down either the saddle-lock screw or the side of the high E saddle to give the saddles a little more room.

My 2¢
Will

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:33 am

Close2u wrote:@ Craig

I did
$25 was the cheapest by a long way.

Ah well.

I'd like to ask ... beyond the disappoinment that a fine 2nd hand purchase has this one 'fault' ... how much of a problem do I have? Is not having the screw in there a major problem re: set up etc?

I have emailed Dave McLaren at G&L about this. There must be an error in the shipping calculation on the updated On-Line Store, as this
was one of the issues they were addressing with this update.

Please PM or EM me with you name and mailing address. I have a few spares and will mail you a screw and bushing.

I also agree with the other guys regarding not having this set screw as being no big deal and should not keep you from doing your setup.

Hope this helps.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks fellas - I'm quickly learning that his is one of those friendly and helpful places.

Taking the saddles out is a good idea - to get access and a good look.
I'm just wondering - whatever is in there ... will it push out or is it likely to be screwed in on threads?
It'll have to come out if I get a replacement part.
Cheers

@ Craig - pm sent, thank you.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Close2u wrote:Thanks fellas - I'm quickly learning that his is one of those friendly and helpful places.

Taking the saddles out is a good idea - to get access and a good look.
I'm just wondering - whatever is in there ... will it push out or is it likely to be screwed in on threads?
It'll have to come out if I get a replacement part.
Cheers

@ Craig - pm sent, thank you.

The nylon bushing is not threaded and goes between the allen screw and hole against the saddle.
If you remove the saddle nearest the hole and then insert a probe or small screwdriver into the saddle side of the hole,
the bushing should pop out the other side of the threaded hole.

Hope this helps.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Elwood wrote:If the threads are the same as the DFV set screw, it seems possible to find some at a hardware store;
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8917

You should be able to set it up fine without, and simply tighten it all up once you have the part.

elwood

Yes, they are the same allen screw as what is used on the DF bridge to hold the trem bar.
The Tribute models and US models from 2006 to present, use the metric sized allen screw.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:39 am

Thanks again fellas.
I will have a go at this and report back.