Help! Low E keeps getting pulled sharp!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:55 am

Hi all,

I recently acquired a G&L Legacy which came with 010's. I strung it up with 008's, readjusted truss rod, saddle height, intonation, bridge studs to match correct height, etc.

When I use the trem, every string EXCEPT the low E stays in tune. What is going on?!

At first, I thought maybe I strung it incorrectly. So, I put on another new low E, but same problem!

When I use the trem, the low E goes WAY sharp. Is this binding in the nut somehow? Is there maybe a burr on the saddle?

I can't figure this out, and it's driving me NUTS!

Please lend me a hand guys.

:)

Re: Help! Low E keeps getting pulled sharp!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:28 am

speedyone wrote:Hi all,

I recently acquired a G&L Legacy which came with 010's. I strung it up with 008's, readjusted truss rod, saddle height, intonation, bridge studs to match correct height, etc.

When I use the trem, every string EXCEPT the low E stays in tune. What is going on?!

At first, I thought maybe I strung it incorrectly. So, I put on another new low E, but same problem!

When I use the trem, the low E goes WAY sharp. Is this binding in the nut somehow? Is there maybe a burr on the saddle?

I can't figure this out, and it's driving me NUTS!

Please lend me a hand guys.

Photos are always helpful. What setting did you change the bridge plate height to? What string height did you set the low E string at the 12th fret?
Did you use any lubricant on the nut? Try to be as detailed as you can on what you did.

You might try putting the low E from the 10 set on and see if it remains sharp after using the trem.

:ugeek:

Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:56 am

Bridge plate height was adjusted to 1/8th as per the set-up thread I read here.

I don't have digital calipers, so I can't say with ultimate precision how high I set the action at the 12th fret.

I COULD try putting a 010 back on the low E, just to see if it gets pulled WAY sharp or not (of course intonation would be off).

If replacing the low E with a 010 solved the problem, then what could possibly BE causing the problem?

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:55 pm

speedyone wrote:Bridge plate height was adjusted to 1/8th as per the set-up thread I read here.

I don't have digital calipers, so I can't say with ultimate precision how high I set the action at the 12th fret.

I COULD try putting a 010 back on the low E, just to see if it gets pulled WAY sharp or not (of course intonation would be off).

If replacing the low E with a 010 solved the problem, then what could possibly BE causing the problem?

You don't need calipers for that. Just a ruler and measure the distance from the bottom of the string to the fret. It should
be 5/64" for the stock setting.

If replacing the low E with a 010 solves the problem, then I would look at the nut slot with the 008 and see if it is binding.
You did not mention if you used any nut slot lubricant. I'd suggest using some, too.
How is the aignment of the strings on the neck? are they spaced evenly up/down the neck? If not, see this post: String alignment issues and a simple cure.

Another thing to try: put a capo on to eliminate the nut and see if the low E string returns to pitch after using the trem. If it still returns sharp, I would look at the bridge, saddles,
trem springs for any binding.

Again, photos showing the key setup/measurement points will be helpful for us to help you.

:ugeek:

Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks for your helpful replies :)

The strings are aligned OK.

I believe there are at least two issues in play:

First, the tension between the strings/bridge is not balanced. When doing gentle shimmers, the tuning stays pretty much perfect, with the low E only going slightly out of tune. But pulling up or pushing down with moderate pressure causes the bridge to be tilted slightly forward or backward...it is not returning to zero.

Second, there is some kind of nut issue. The low E slot IS kind of rough, and I have never cut a nut myself, so I'm not gonna fiddle with that. I'm gonna let a licensed tech deal with that one!

I suppose I have been spoiled working on vintage Fenders, because there is so little to adjust (trem wise), being a much more simple (though inferior feeling,) design.

I do not fault the guitar at all; I simply don't have experience with this style of trem. I feel confident that once it is set-up by someone with experience, it will be just fine.

Thanks again for the helpful replies! I DO think you could give me the necessary info to perhaps fix the issue entirely on my own, but I have 3 kids and family commitments, so I really don't have spare time to devote to getting things perfect. I am not disparaging any of the time YOU have spent in considering my issue!! Thank you thank you! I'm gonna drop off the Legacy to a store with a licensed tech today, though. I'll post again when I get the guitar back with my thoughts on how it plays/sounds being set-up properly with lower gauge strings and perhaps a new nut

Have a good weekend!

Really enjoying the site, and the helpful folks here!