What are the ramifications of NOT recutting a nut?

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Specifically, what are the ramifications of NOT recutting a nut when going down string gauge...I want to go from 10's to 8's (which is what I have used on my Strats).

I have heard from the great builder John Suhr that aside from binding in the nut, that going out of tune is a result of the strings not reseating themselves correctly in the saddle when using a trem equipped guitar.

If I go from 10's to 8's, there won't BE any binding in the nut, so why bother getting it recut?

Will there be string buzz?

Just curious, as I have no tech in my area to recut a nut for me, and I don't know how to do it. I also don't wanna spend $$$ to ship my guitar out to someone for a set-up on the chance that maybe I'll get it back with string height that I don't like or some other preference of mine that wasn't correctly addressed.

I guess maybe I should just put the 8's on myself, set-up the guitar, and then if there is buzzing or problems staying in tune, then put the 10's back on.....

Any input/experience you guys have would be appreciated!

Re: What are the ramifications of NOT recutting a nut?

Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:15 pm

speedyone wrote:
I guess maybe I should just put the 8's on myself, set-up the guitar, and then if there is buzzing or problems staying in tune, then put the 10's back on.....

That's what I would do, knowing in the future you could get a nut cut for your .008's.
I bet you will be happy (enough for the time being) with the sound and can wear out those strings with enthusiastic playing while you contemplate the next step .
Your right , a tech won't be able to tell where you like your action etc unless there is some face to face time where he/she can understand how you like it.

let us know how it sounds with the 8's,
elwood

Re: What are the ramifications of NOT recutting a nut?

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:14 pm

Elwood wrote:That's what I would do, knowing in the future you could get a nut cut for your .008's.

+1. I've never noticed a difference after going down in gauge.

Ken