Pickups and Strings

Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:57 am

Hi

I am considering buying a G&L (USA) ASAT Classic Custom Semi Hollow. The 'high E' string does not run centrally across the bridge pick up pole piece but more towards the volume knob,the'B' string is also slightly off centre of the pole piece as well. Does anyone know if this is this a problem, can it affect the tone of the string if it is not sitting directly over the pole of the pickup.

Look forward to any comments .

Thanks

Al.

Re: Pickups and Strings

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:06 pm

Is this a brand new instrument? If so, the dealer should rectify it before selling. If it's a used instrument it probably can be fixed easily.
It sounds like a string alignment issue due to the neck shifting during shipping.

See this post:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3488

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks Eddie

Sorry should have said that this is a used instrument,I think its from 2010.The rest of the strings are sitting pretty well centre. I wonder if the neck is moved it might affect all the other strings?. I don't think I can get a photo to post up so that you can see what is happening but I will try.

Al.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Look at the photo in the thread that I posted. Does it look anything like that?
A USA G&L would not leave the factory like that. Can you have the current owner try the fix detailed in the thread that I linked to?

Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:35 pm

guitaral wrote:Thanks Eddie

Sorry should have said that this is a used instrument,I think its from 2010.The rest of the strings are sitting pretty well centre. I wonder if the neck is moved it might affect all the other strings?. I don't think I can get a photo to post up so that you can see what is happening but I will try.

Al.

without pics of the bridge and the neck heel and the nut it will be hard to help. just shooting in the dark.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:01 am

Not sure how to load a picture onto this forum page.Can you help.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:36 am

guitaral wrote:Not sure how to load a picture onto this forum page.Can you help.

See Welcome! Read This First.

:ugeek:

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:58 am

Hi

Click on the link for a picture of the guitar in question.Please see the positioning of the E & B strings across the bridge pup.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13273949@N03/

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:12 am

On my '98 ASAT Classic, both of the E strings are over the outer edges of the pole pieces. Here's how they look if I hold the camera directly over the pickup:

The first shot I took, without making sure I was exactly over the pickup, looked a lot like yours:

I'm not sure how this compares to other ASAT Classics, as this is the only one I've played. And yes, the previous owner either sweat a lot of stored the guitar in a steam room...

Ken

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:07 pm

As mentioned by suave eddie, try the setup procedure mentioned in this post: String alignment issues and a simple cure.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Hi Ken

Thanks for the photos,I take it that the string spacing hasn't affected your tones or playing experience on your guitar.

Al.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:02 pm

guitaral wrote:Hi Ken

Thanks for the photos,I take it that the string spacing hasn't affected your tones or playing experience on your guitar.

Al.

Al,

I've had no problems with mine. Hopefully Jos will see this thread and chime in. He has quite a bit of experience with all of the ASAT models.

Ken

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Craig wrote:As mentioned by suave eddie, try the setup procedure mentioned in this post: String alignment issues and a simple cure.

I now realize that you have not gotten this guitar and you are just considering purchasing it. The photo you posted the link to does look like the neck could
use the adjustment, but it does not look too out of alignment and both strings in question should be okay with the pickup pole pieces, as is. However, if you do find that
either or both strings are softer or louder sounding (volume wise) you would be able to adjust the individual pole pieces up or down to balance with the
other strings, should you not want to do the alignment adjustment. The only other issue you might have is when bending the high E string, as it might fret-out due to
the closeness of the string to the edge of the fretboard. If you found this to be the case, then try the neck alignment adjustment and adjust the string alignment on the
fretboard further away from the edge.

Hope this helps.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Craig wrote:
Craig wrote:As mentioned by suave eddie, try the setup procedure mentioned in this post: String alignment issues and a simple cure.

The only other issue you might have is when bending the high E string, as it might fret-out due to
the closeness of the string to the edge of the fretboard. If you found this to be the case, then try the neck alignment adjustment and adjust the string alignment on the

Hope this helps.

craig, i think you are mistaken on this one. having the high e too close to the edge is not a cause of fretting out when bending. that could bee action that is too low, fingerboard radius too small, or a high or low fret. sliding off the edge of the fretboard can be an issue when not bending (high e), but fretting out would not be because of the alignment, nor would adjusting the alignment fix that. it could actually help on really big bends, as you would be less likely to cross over the center line of the fretboard.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:59 am

Thanks Guys for all your comments.I wonder if there is any underlying isue with this guitar as it's just the E&B which are just off centre of the pole pieces.The other strings look fine.If the neck is realigned would this throw the other strings out?. I'm a bit concerned about the comments of the E being too close to the edge of the fretboard as well.
This is such a lovely guitar and I would like to buy but with a price of £1150
on it I have to make sure that everything is OK with it before I make the purchase.

Should I buy?.

Thanks

Al.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:35 am

a lot of times the saddles are not in the right place, and that can give you the adjustment you need. in the pic it looks like the e and b saddles are shifted a little. the high e saddle is definitely off, there is a gap between it and the b saddle. easy fix, just loosen the strings and shift it back to position, hold it in place while tightening the string. the easiest way to align the neck is to back out the neck screws 1/2 turn while under tension, the strings will put it where it needs to be. tighten the screws. do this after you align the saddles.

it's hard to see in this pic, but on closer inspection it seems the high e is not sitting in the grove on the saddle. need better pics, one a close up of the nut, and a close up of the bridge.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:53 am

louis cyfer wrote:
Craig wrote:

The only other issue you might have is when bending the high E string, as it might fret-out due to

Hope this helps.

craig, i think you are mistaken on this one. having the high e too close to the edge is not a cause of fretting out when bending. that could bee action that is too low, fingerboard radius too small, or a high or low fret. sliding off the edge of the fretboard can be an issue when not bending (high e), but fretting out would not be because of the alignment, nor would adjusting the alignment fix that. it could actually help on really big bends, as you would be less likely to cross over the center line of the fretboard.

Doh! I don't know why I said "bending" when I was thinking "fretting".

:oops:

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:22 pm

Guys

Thanks for all your comments and advice on my enquiry. I will speak with the seller and suggest some of the points you have made.

All the best

Al.