Replace truss rod nut Legacy USA

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:43 am

Hi

Yesterday I bought a G&L legacy vintage white.
Fantastic guitar and sound, but there is one problem which is partly solved
I measured the clearance between string and 8th fret and found it too high, according to the manual
When I wanted to lower the action, the strings buzzed far before before the action was reached which is described in the owner manual, so I decided to tighten the truss to get less relief.

With the 1/8"allen wrench I tried to turn the truss nut clockwise, but that was impossible. Turning the other way, to loosen it was impossible also. I put a few drops special oil in the truss tunnel and waited to this morning
Again I tried to move the nut, this still didn't work, but when I turned it trying to loosen it again this was succesfull. Since this worked I knew the truss tread must be oke. I was relieved.

I've read something about truss rod nuts which are not drilled completely trough, they are too short and thus one cannot turn the nut further than that certain point. This guitar must have such truss rod nut also, which appeared to be thightend to the max, which I found strange.
If the tread stops, and if also the relief is too much, there is nothing you can do anymore or take a nut which tread is longer.

Maybe someone here could tell me wich tread this nut has, and if G&L or another company has fitting nuts which are a bit longer and will fit in the hole. If I could find such a nut I could tighten it some more to get less relief.

G&L's webshop seems to sell no truss rod nuts, at least I did not see any on their page
I saw that there are fender style nuts at stewmac etc, these nuts have a 10-32 tread and can be adjust with a 1/8" allen key. Would this fit? or should I simply lay a washer onder the nut and have the same result

regards
Baldu

Re: Replace truss rod nut Legacy USA

Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:16 pm

baldu wrote:Hi

Yesterday I bought a G&L legacy vintage white.
Fantastic guitar and sound, but there is one problem which is partly solved
I measured the clearance between string and 8th fret and found it too high, according to the manual
When I wanted to lower the action, the strings buzzed far before before the action was reached which is described in the owner manual, so I decided to tighten the truss to get less relief.

With the 1/8"allen wrench I tried to turn the truss nut clockwise, but that was impossible. Turning the other way, to loosen it was impossible also. I put a few drops special oil in the truss tunnel and waited to this morning
Again I tried to move the nut, this still didn't work, but when I turned it trying to loosen it again this was succesfull. Since this worked I knew the truss tread must be oke. I was relieved.

I've read something about truss rod nuts which are not drilled completely trough, they are too short and thus one cannot turn the nut further than that certain point. This guitar must have such truss rod nut also, which appeared to be thightend to the max, which I found strange.
If the tread stops, and if also the relief is too much, there is nothing you can do anymore or take a nut which tread is longer.

Maybe someone here could tell me wich tread this nut has, and if G&L or another company has fitting nuts which are a bit longer and will fit in the hole. If I could find such a nut I could tighten it some more to get less relief.

G&L's webshop seems to sell no truss rod nuts, at least I did not see any on their page
I saw that there are fender style nuts at stewmac etc, these nuts have a 10-32 tread and can be adjust with a 1/8" allen key. Would this fit? or should I simply lay a washer onder the nut and have the same result

regards
Baldu

See my reply to your other post.

:ugeek:

Re: Replace truss rod nut Legacy USA: nothing works.......

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:29 am

Hi craig

I've tried to make contact with mr Robosan from G&L and described the problem

I also ordered a new truss rod nut from guitarparts [not allparts], I had to order 2
Saturday I received it, and tried carefully if it fits, but @#$ it did not fit. The new one has metric tread, but the one in the G&L has other tread.
The outside measure is the same, and the tread looks the same but they are different.
In the ones I received I can put a metric bolt in, in the nut on the G&L not

Looking at the G&L nut, I saw it is drilled for about 1,5 cm, but it is treaded only for about 6 mm, this is way too short.
The rest of the drilled hole is some smaller, because there is no tread on it, so you cannot go deeper
Don't they check those things? When it is so diffeicult to get spare parts as these, they must pay more attention about this before dropping it on the market

Now I still do not have this problem solved, and mr Robosan doesn't reply to my mails. What can I do, when even the shopseller does nothing and I cannot even get a fitting nut in a guitarshop or else????

I get a 1350, - euro guitar, with a high action since I cannot adjust the neck relief because of a bad nut which costs only a few dollars. :? :(

please can you help me?

regards
Baldu
the netherlands

Re: Replace truss rod nut Legacy USA: nothing works.......

Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:33 am

baldu wrote:Hi craig

I've tried to make contact with mr Robosan from G&L and described the problem

I also ordered a new truss rod nut from guitarparts [not allparts], I had to order 2
Saturday I received it, and tried carefully if it fits, but @#$ it did not fit. The new one has metric tread, but the one in the G&L has other tread.
The outside measure is the same, and the tread looks the same but they are different.
In the ones I received I can put a metric bolt in, in the nut on the G&L not

Looking at the G&L nut, I saw it is drilled for about 1,5 cm, but it is treaded only for about 6 mm, this is way too short.
The rest of the drilled hole is some smaller, because there is no tread on it, so you cannot go deeper
Don't they check those things? When it is so diffeicult to get spare parts as these, they must pay more attention about this before dropping it on the market

Now I still do not have this problem solved, and mr Robosan doesn't reply to my mails. What can I do, when even the shopseller does nothing and I cannot even get a fitting nut in a guitarshop or else????

I get a 1350, - euro guitar, with a high action since I cannot adjust the neck relief because of a bad nut which costs only a few dollars. :? :(

please can you help me?

regards
Baldu
the netherlands

I received your email and replied back to you requesting some information.
As soon as I get your reply back I will forward it on to my G&L contacts.

BTW, when did you send your email to Chris?

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi Craig

Think you must have received my reply by e-mail yesterday
I also sent you the mails I sent to mr Robosan from G&L

thanks a lot again

regards
Baldu

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:40 pm

baldu wrote:Hi Craig

thanks a lot again

regards
Baldu

I have sent you an email reply.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:25 am

Thanks for all Craig.

Chris Robosan contacted me and promised me a new one
This week I received a brand new truss rod nut with washer and 4mm allen wrench from G&L
Now I can change the old one and this problem is solved

regards
Baldu

Craig wrote:

thanks a lot again

regards
Baldu

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:36 pm

baldu wrote:Thanks for all Craig.

Chris Robosan contacted me and promised me a new one
This week I received a brand new truss rod nut with washer and 4mm allen wrench from G&L
Now I can change the old one and this problem is solved

regards
Baldu

Craig wrote:

thanks a lot again

regards
Baldu

You are welcome. I'm glad I was able to help.

Enjoy.