anybody know the factory Comanche pick up height spec's ?

Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:02 pm

the previous owner (s) have the PU's out of wack , neck pup was so low it was muddy ..... are all the PU's adjusted at the same height or is bridge closer to the strings and neck the farthest from strings ?? ......

I been playing with it and have them all sounding better but would like to know the factory set up height is set at .... I searched the knowledge base and didn't find anything

thanks , Eric

Re: anybody know the factory Comanche pick up height spec's

Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:04 pm

it's a personal preference thing. adjust the bridge pup to the best tone and adjust the others for volume balance. i have never left a guitar at factory spec.

Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:59 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:the previous owner (s) have the PU's out of wack , neck pup was so low it was muddy ..... are all the PU's adjusted at the same height or is bridge closer to the strings and neck the farthest from strings ?? ......

I been playing with it and have them all sounding better but would like to know the factory set up height is set at .... I searched the knowledge base and didn't find anything

thanks , Eric

There are at least four posts in the G&L Tech Tips sub-forum of the Knowledgebase (searched with keywords: pickup height):

What should the pickup height setting be?
Tech Tip - Pickup Height
Pick-up height for Z-Coil?
Pickup Height for MFD Pickups

They give you some starting points and then go on to say essentially what louis cyfer posted.

:ugeek:

Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:44 pm

thanks , I read the Comanche post but I was thinking they needed to be different heights depending on witch pu , I will compare to how I have adjusted now and go from there .... the z's seem a little tricky

Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:07 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:thanks , I read the Comanche post but I was thinking they needed to be different heights depending on witch pu , I will compare to how I have adjusted now and go from there .... the z's seem a little tricky

they should be different heights if you want the pickups to balance with each other

Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:45 am

louis cyfer wrote:it's a personal preference thing. adjust the bridge pup to the best tone and adjust the others for volume balance. i have never left a guitar at factory spec.

Ditto. I adjust the bridge pickup to the point where the magnetic pull from the pole pieces is just noticible. Then I listen and adjust. With single coils, it's not much. With some of the humbuckers it varies more than I would think. I borrow a friends strobe tuner but I've used a tuner plugin through a DAW for similar results.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:31 pm

will it matter if I adjust it through my floor pod and head-phones ... or ... Peavey Classic 30 ??....... I assume it would be better to adjust through the amp verses head phones

thanks , Eric

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:will it matter if I adjust it through my floor pod and head-phones ... or ... Peavey Classic 30 ??....... I assume it would be better to adjust through the amp verses head phones

thanks , Eric

whatever you use more. to me the amp tends to give me better sense of the tone.

Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:46 pm

I have a better feel on the amp so I'll have to wait for when no ones home .... from messing with it sunday it turned out I'm pretty close to the 1/8 , 1/16 at 22 fret , so thats encouraging my ear is fairly close because I changed them a bunch .... I hate having to make big adjustment when I'm fairly new to setting up a electric guitar and a Comanche Z coil to boot

thanks, Eric

Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Fumble fingers wrote:.... I hate having to make big adjustment when I'm fairly new to setting up a electric guitar and a Comanche Z coil to boot

Shouldn't matter Eric, its easy enough to undo whatever changes you make. Keep going until you get it right.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:17 pm

it's amazing what a 1/4 turn will do on the bridge PU , from micro phonic to perfect in a 1/4 turn

since I'm setting it up I might as well ask , when I check intonation low E is flat on the 12th fret ..... do I need to make the string longer or shorter ??.... I'm thinking shorter , is that right ?

thanks , Eric

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:22 am

Fumble fingers wrote:it's amazing what a 1/4 turn will do on the bridge PU , from micro phonic to perfect in a 1/4 turn

since I'm setting it up I might as well ask , when I check intonation low E is flat on the 12th fret ..... do I need to make the string longer or shorter ??.... I'm thinking shorter , is that right ?

thanks , Eric

Yes shorter, your thinking right.
cool news about the bridge pup.
elwood