S-500 and Legacy Pick Guards

Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:02 pm

Just need to know if Legacy pick guards are interchangeable with S-500 pick guards? I want to replace one on an S-500 tribute that I just bought and I can only find pick guards for the Legacy on Ebay. There are none offered on the G&L site. Also are standard strat pickups the same size as S-500 pickups? Thanks in advance.

Re: S-500 and Legacy Pick Guards

Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:43 pm

SamIV wrote:Just need to know if Legacy pick guards are interchangeable with S-500 pick guards? I want to replace one on an S-500 tribute that I just bought and I can only find pick guards for the Legacy on Ebay. There are none offered on the G&L site. Also are standard strat pickups the same size as S-500 pickups? Thanks in advance.

No, US Legacy and S-500 pickguards will not be an exact fit on a G&L Tribute S-500. They each have different number of screw holes,
11 screws for the Tributes while the US model has 8 screws. See this post: Pickguard replacement.

Most (if not all) aftermarket strat single coil pickups will fit the Legacy and S-500 models (US and Tribute).

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:09 am

The pick guard will fit, but the screw holes will not line up, correct? I am ok with that, as long as the legacy pick guard will cover up the other holes.

Thanks for the info.

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:46 pm

After further inspection, mine has only 8 screws in the pick guard, so I guess a USA Tribute pick guard will work. Thanks

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:51 am

SamIV wrote:After further inspection, mine has only 8 screws in the pick guard, so I guess a USA Tribute pick guard will work. Thanks

I had forgotten that the made in Korea Tributes used different pickguards and they were an 8 hole type for the Legacy and S-500 models. This changed
in 2007 when G&L changed to the factory in Indoneia. Since the Tribute pickguards are not supplied by G&L but are sourced by the factory in the country
of origin, I don't know if the US Legacy and US S-500 pickguard holes will line up exactly on your Tribute body.

As mentioned in the post I reference earlier, the US supplier of G&L's pickguards can build you a pickguard for your Tribute S-500 but you
would need to provide the original one (or, I think, a complete tracing) to them.

BTW, what is the first 4 digits of the serial number of your Tribute S-500? This will tell the Year and Month it was built.

Hope this helps.

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:38 pm

0311 are the first four numbers of the serial number. Just to let you know, the original pickups were changed to humbuckers and I want to bring it back to original. But the pick guard on it now has only 8 screws

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:57 pm

SamIV wrote:0311 are the first four numbers of the serial number. Just to let you know, the original pickups were changed to humbuckers and I want to bring it back to original. But the pick guard on it now has only 8 screws

The build year is 2003 and the build month is November, so this would be a Made in Korea Tribute and that would explain why
the pickguard has 8 screws for mounting. You might check eBay for G&L Tribute Legacy pickguards because, in the past, some
sellers would regularly part out Tributes. Also, you might post a Want Ad in our GbL Marketplace for one.

And, if any of members have one available, please EM or PM SamIV ... do not post it here.

Best of luck on your search.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:25 am

Couldn't I just buy a Leagacy pickguard from Pickguard Heaven. These are eight hole as well, or get one of the newer tribute Legacy models and use it even though the holes don't line up? The new holes should be under the pick guard.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:18 am

SamIV wrote:Couldn't I just buy a Leagacy pickguard from Pickguard Heaven. These are eight hole as well, or get one of the newer tribute Legacy models and use it even though the holes don't line up? The new holes should be under the pick guard.

Pickguard Heaven has this requirement listed on their G&L pickguard page:

All "Tribute" asian import models require the original guard be sent for duplication.

And since your original one has been modified for humbuckers or is gone, you won't be able to provide the original one.
You might contact them and see if they can use the pickguard you have for duplicating but make it with the SSS pickup configuration.

Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks all of your help. Kinda quiet here. Sure wish it was better traveled.