New ASAT Tribute Owner - some questions about neck fit

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:52 pm

Just got my hands on my first G&L, an ASAT Classic Trib. Love love love the sound and feel, but I had a few questions about the way the neck fits in the pocket.

In this pic you can see there's a slight bulge just beneath the 17th fret, where the body sticks out a little from the neck. It's not especially visible, but I can definitely feel it when you run your hand across it, or when you play high on the neck.

In addition, there's a gap (wide enough to slide in a few sheets of paper) either side of the neck - you can see them in this pic.

This is my first bolt-on, so all of that might be inside normal tolerances, in which case no problem. Just wanted to check in, as it felt a little out of whack to me.

Re: New ASAT Tribute Owner - some questions about neck fit

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:36 am

mjj wrote:Just got my hands on my first G&L, an ASAT Classic Trib. Love love love the sound and feel, but I had a few questions about the way the neck fits in the pocket.

In this pic you can see there's a slight bulge just beneath the 17th fret, where the body sticks out a little from the neck. It's not especially visible, but I can definitely feel it when you run your hand across it, or when you play high on the neck.

In addition, there's a gap (wide enough to slide in a few sheets of paper) either side of the neck - you can see them in this pic.

This is my first bolt-on, so all of that might be inside normal tolerances, in which case no problem. Just wanted to check in, as it felt a little out of whack to me.

No, the neck fit does not look right. Your top photo indicates a string alignment problem. (though it just might be the angle of the shot).
The good news is that there is a easy adjustment you can make to fix it. See: String alignment issues and a simple cure.
Perform this adjustment and then post a photo so that we can see the neck fit after.

I see by the body finish that this a 2012 or 2013 Tribute ASAT Classic, what is the serial number? Did you purchase it new from a G&L dealer?
I'd like to see a photo of the complete guitar plus one showing a closeup of the headstock, too.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Re: New ASAT Tribute Owner - some questions about neck fit

Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:06 pm

It's a 2012 MII that I ordered from the local dealer. To be fair though, the string alignment is pretty good - it just looks bad because of the angle on that shot.

Even so, I tried loosening the bolts (as recommended in the simple cure) but the neck didn't move at all - it's pretty firmly in the pocket. I tried putting some gentle but forceful pressure on it, but there wasn't any movement in the neck at all - not left/right or front/back.