SB2 tribute - please ..help:)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:58 am

Hello all
There are some issues with my SB2 tribute (2013) and would like to ask for help :)
1. There is kind of reverb when playing on G and D strings (more on G) . Checked two sets of the strings and its the same , different pickups heights etc. when I set high volume on my neck pickup its really annoying... with low volume is better but loosing a lot of punch. Generally have to really focus on damping strings when playing..a lot of additional reverb/noise in the background. I have to decrease the volume on the knobs quite strongly
I post picture of the electronic . There is weird thing - on the neck knob there are two black cables thare are cut .. my knowledge of the guitar electronics is very small..but is it possible that this is a mistake and two black cables from bridge knob should be soldered to the neck knob instead? Or it just doesen't change anything. Unfortunetely I can't record anything since my music card is broken. There is one luthier in area I live but far away..so want to ask here first. Or maybe go to shop where I bought it - but they will take it for weeks probably.

[timage=]Image [/timage]

2. There is additional hole in the neck ...why? can it have an effect on sound?
[timage=]Image[/timage]

Thanks for help in advance ! ( and sorry for mistakes:) )

Re: SB2 tribute - please ..help:)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:03 am

LiT wrote:Hello all
There are some issues with my SB2 tribute (2013) and would like to ask for help :)
1. There is kind of reverb when playing on G and D strings (more on G) . Checked two sets of the strings and its the same , different pickups heights etc. when I set high volume on my neck pickup its really annoying... with low volume is better but loosing a lot of punch. Generally have to really focus on damping strings when playing..a lot of additional reverb/noise in the background. I have to decrease the volume on the knobs quite strongly
I post picture of the electronic . There is weird thing - on the neck knob there are two black cables thare are cut .. my knowledge of the guitar electronics is very small..but is it possible that this is a mistake and two black cables from bridge knob should be soldered to the neck knob instead? Or it just doesen't change anything. Unfortunetely I can't record anything since my music card is broken. There is one luthier in area I live but far away..so want to ask here first. Or maybe go to shop where I bought it - but they will take it for weeks probably.

Thanks for help in advance ! ( and sorry for mistakes:) )

I suggest you take to the G&L dealer you purchased it from and show them the issue you have.
It might be an easy fix which they could have their tech handle there at the shop. They need to see it
and then decide how to best to get it resolved for you under warranty.

As far as the electronics, let their tech look at it. What appears to be a mistake to you, is not one.
Look at the SB-2 Wiring Diagram we have in the Gallery and you should see that.
Again let the tech handle the inspection of the wiring and evaluation of your isssue, otherwise you risk voiding the warranty.
See G&L Support page for warranty repair instructions.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm looking now at drawing and it looks like that from neck pickup to the neck pickup knob should go 2 wires : yellow and black. And in my bass neck pickup with knob is connected only with yellow (the black wire is cut on the top of the knob..)..and all the black wires go to the bridge pup knob.
Anyway I will go to the shop - the problem is that they don't have any technician who can fix electronics and have to send guitar somewhere and it will a looooong time to get it back again...( I have situation like this with another isntrument...waiting some weeks). This is how it is in this part of Norway. I posted a photo to maybe get some info what is wrong with wires and can send mail to the shop first asking how we can solve it as fast as possible:) (this shop is quite far away from my home) and this is my only bass at the moment..
Thnx for your reply:)
aa..do you know smth about this hole in the neck?

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm not sure about the electronics or the extra neck hole, but for the rattle I would look at the entire path of the strings from the bridge to the tuner post. I would also check the action. Is the rattle still there if you fret the strings at the highest fret? If you work from the highest fret down toward the nut, when does the rattle begin?

Ken

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:53 am

This isn't rattle - more kind of reverb , 'microphonic effect' , don't know how to call it:) anyway its not any kind of fret buzz , I checked also tuners. And its problem with d and g strings and seems like which this part of the splitcoil under those strings is smth wrong.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:12 pm

ok. Problem is solved:)
I found my soldering tool (which I have never used..first time:) ) and changed wiring like it is on the diagram....and woooow!
Now is much more selective, low tones are tighter , reverb almoust gone (probably my soldering wasn't perfect heh ) , tone in generall is better, can find more cool sounds using both volume knobs. Now this guitar which flatwound strings sounds really good.

Weird thing is that this is quite new guitar ( made in 2013) and it was:
1.f***cked up electronics
2.I had to shim a neck to get low action ( bridge saddles couldnt be lower)
3.nut was not stragiht and because of it strings were to high above the first fret.
4.Of course poor setup
5. Some screws were too lose..
6. This additional hole in the neck..why?

I fixed all of those things and now have one of the best pbass (with the lowest action) Ive evere have in my hands. But heard that even that tributes are made in Indonesia they are checking them one more time in US ...
Anyway its good now (but I was close to sell it..) :)
In future I will give it to the luthier to checked electronics and make good and pernament soldering and change the nut for graphit or smth, and maybe luthier can shim the neck in profesionall way. And then will be perfect:)