ASAT 3-Z wiring Diagram

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:45 am

Gents .... and ladies

I just bought an early version of the ASAT 3-Z - without the push-pull knob.

I wondered where to get the wiring diagram or a description of the way it works(with the push-pull knob)

Today its wired lik a Strat - with a 5-way selector.

The push/pull knob seems to provides two additional combinations : all 3 pu.'s and the the bridge-neck pu.'s ... if I have understand this correctly.

Looking foreward to learn some more

Regards Erling

Re: ASAT 3-Z wiring Diagram

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:14 am

Erling_S wrote:Gents .... and ladies

I wondered where to get the wiring diagram or a description of the way it works(with the push-pull knob)

The push/pull knob seems to provides two additional combinations : all 3 pu.'s and the the bridge-neck pu.'s ... if I have understand this correctly.

Regards Erling

See http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/index2.asp and look for ASAT (all 3 single coil pickup models plus Z-3) - schematic drawing.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:52 am

Craig wrote:Hope this helps.

I think it won't, as these wirings do not include what Erling_S did ask for. ;)

But it's very simple, take a look at the schematics for an S-500 https://www.glguitars.com/schematics/S- ... iagram.pdf

and less abstract, here: Image

Note the green switch and the 2 red lines. Push/pull switch is just the same, but the switch is hooked up to the volume or tone control.

On my ASAT with 3 pickups, I made another approach. The switch does interchange the middle an the bridge pickup. So, if set, the first 3 positions of the 5-way switch are: Neck, Neck+Bridge, Bridge
So it's an ASAT/Tele mode, the other two positons in that mode can be ignored. In the other position of that mini-toggle the 5-way-switch is in Stratocaster-Mode. The combination of all 3 pickups isn't possible, but in my ears that combination does not work well, so I never use it on other guitars, where I have this option anyway, but neck and bridge together works of course well on all these 3-pickup guitars. The middle pickup alone has similar sound characteristics, but isn't completely the same.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:55 am

Craig wrote:
Erling_S wrote:Gents .... and ladies

Regards Erling

See http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/index2.asp and look for ASAT (all 3 single coil pickup models plus Z-3) - schematic drawing.

Hope this helps.

Oops, I misread your post, thinking you were looking for the older Z-3 diagram.

See Album: ASAT Z-3/Will Ray Signature Model Picture Diagram.

This should help.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:27 am

Hi again

Thank you for your reply - I will look into the proposed solution.

From the G&L Homepage:
5 position pickup selector, volume, tone with push/pull function enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all 3 pickups together

This quote made me think a while. - how is this possible ?

The forewarded diagram makes it possible to use neck and bridge - just like a "normal" ASAT in midle position - and I think this is what i'm asking for

Thankyou for your help

Erling from Demnark

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 am

Erling_S wrote:The forewarded diagram makes it possible to use neck and bridge - just like a "normal" ASAT in midle position - and I think this is what i'm asking for

No, in Position 1 and 5 you'll have neck+bridge, in positions 2 and 4 all three pickups on, and the middle position remains untouched. The simple trick is: With the extra switch, the hot wires of neck and bridge pickups are connected, so choosing one of them, will activate both.

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:22 am

Erling_S wrote:Hi again

Thank you for your reply - I will look into the proposed solution.

From the G&L Homepage:
5 position pickup selector, volume, tone with push/pull function enabling additional pickup combinations of neck+bridge or all 3 pickups together

This quote made me think a while. - how is this possible ?

The forewarded diagram makes it possible to use neck and bridge - just like a "normal" ASAT in midle position - and I think this is what i'm asking for

Thankyou for your help

Erling from Demnark

See What is the expander switch used on many of the models? for a complete list of settings.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi again

Now we are getting somewhere.

As I see it (now) - its rather straight foreward.

Thank you for your help

Erling