Replacing MFDs with passive single coils - Pot issues?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi all!

I am thinking on replacing the MFDs in my S-500 with Single Coil Klein pickups.

My question: Would I need to replace the pots as well? Any know issues with the "6th - 7th" position switch with pups other than MFDs?

Btw, I would love to know what pots I have without having to re-string my guitar. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Re: Replacing MFDs with passive single coils - Pot issues?

Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:48 pm

no issues. which klein pickups. i have a set of jazzy cats with an s8 bridge pup. very different sound though. i would get a legacy and change those pups.

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:33 am

nachoharriague wrote:Btw, I would love to know what pots I have without having to re-string my guitar. Any suggestions?

Should be 250K for volume, 500K for treble and 1M for bass. The same as in the Legacy where they are for Alnicos too.

Instead of removing strings, I put a capo on the first fret, so the strings won't fall off the tuning posts. Then I loosen the strings, so the have (almost) no tension and then I remove the neck, to have access to the electrics of any Strat type guitar electrics.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:44 am

louis cyfer wrote:Re: Replacing MFDs with passive single coils - Pot issues?
no issues. which klein pickups. i have a set of jazzy cats with an s8 bridge pup. very different sound though. i would get a legacy and change those pups.

Thanks Louis! I will have JC for neck and middle, and S-7 for the bridge. I understand the difference in sound, going for it :-)

Miles Smiles wrote:Should be 250K for volume, 500K for treble and 1M for bass. The same as in the Legacy where they are for Alnicos too.

Thanks Miles! Do you know what´s the std pots for MFD´s? Says nothing about them in the COA

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:59 pm

nachoharriague wrote:Thanks Miles! Do you know what´s the std pots for MFD´s? Says nothing about them in the COA

Sorry, I don't know if there's a standard. I guess not. You'll be fine to leave that pots, as they are. As I wrote, there for example are 3 different pots in the Comanche and although the volume pot has 250K it's very bright.

If you search for wiring diagrams here in the gallery or at glguitars.com you might find descriptions of the pot values in there too.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:35 pm

I just checked the schematics as you recommended and it is 250K in volume, 500K in trebble and 1meg in bass as you said.

Thanks a lot

Btw, here is the link for future reference: http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/S-500_schematic_blockdiagram.pdf