View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Want easy replacement nut for Legacy Tribute 

Post Want easy replacement nut for Legacy Tribute
I have used a pre-slotted tusq nut on my Epiphone with good results, anyone know if this:

http://www.graphtech.com/product-471-2/

will work on my legacy tribute?

Or, if there is some other good choice please recommend.

I would rather avoid cutting into a blank.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Post Re: Want easy replacement nut for Legacy Tribute
the best results will be with cutting into a blank, but you might want a tech to do that. the best nut material is delron 500 cl, does not come pre-cut.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:25 pm

I just measured my legacy tribute nut with calipers and if yours is the same as mine, that nut should work. Be prepared to sand the bottom a little if necessary but go slow. When you do sand the bottom of a nut, put a straight edge with a little height to it, I use my aluminum level, on the sand paper so you can run the nut against it to keep it level while sanding, keeping even pressure to avoid misshaping the nut. Now my measurements were done with the nut installed. Sorry but I'm not willing to take it off just to measure. Only other thing to make sure of is if the tribute nut is flat on the bottom or curved. If I were you and getting ready to order one I'd pull off the old one and make sure. You can still set it back in there, tune up and be OK while you wait for the new one to be delivered.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 pm

I recently replaced the nut of my Tribute Comanche with one of these:

http://www.graphtech.com/product-304-2/

I also replaced the string retainer with one from Graph Tech.

I took the black nut, because I have in mind it's better for guitars with vibrato system, as the strings may slip better through the string slots. As the bottom of the nut slot is flat on the Tribute Comanche, it may be flat on the Legacy too, so the nut linked to in the first post may work.

Doesn't look bad, I think:

Important is, that you not have to use a file for adjusting the string slot heights. Instead you sand the bottom as MJ Slaughter explained.

You might find these videos helpful too:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:19 pm
Profile WWW

Like Miles, I've installed a black graphtech nut on my S-500. It required a little filing around the edges and on the bottom to get the height perfect, but it fits really well. When I measure with calipers the string spacing is ever so slightly wider on the graphtech nut compared with the factory cut nut (which broke in half!). For all practical purposes I can't tell the difference.

BTW, I also tried the white graphtech nut but found the black one to stay in tune better. I do prefer the look of the white one.

StewMac have also started selling unbleached, pre-cut bone nuts and I plan to try out a 10" radius version on my Tribute ASAT's.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Philby wrote:
Like Miles, I've installed a black graphtech nut on my S-500. It required a little filing around the edges and on the bottom to get the height perfect, but it fits really well. When I measure with calipers the string spacing is ever so slightly wider on the graphtech nut compared with the factory cut nut (which broke in half!). For all practical purposes I can't tell the difference.

BTW, I also tried the white graphtech nut but found the black one to stay in tune better. I do prefer the look of the white one.

StewMac have also started selling unbleached, pre-cut bone nuts and I plan to try out a 10" radius version on my Tribute ASAT's.

that nut in the pic does not look like it fits properly. looks like it's tilting forward and the bottom is not sitting flat. btw, the delron 500 cl comes in white and is much more slippery than the graphtech.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:44 pm

MJ Slaughter wrote:
I just measured my legacy tribute nut with calipers and if yours is the same as mine, that nut should work. Be prepared to sand the bottom a little if necessary but go slow. When you do sand the bottom of a nut, put a straight edge with a little height to it, I use my aluminum level, on the sand paper so you can run the nut against it to keep it level while sanding, keeping even pressure to avoid misshaping the nut. Now my measurements were done with the nut installed. Sorry but I'm not willing to take it off just to measure. Only other thing to make sure of is if the tribute nut is flat on the bottom or curved. If I were you and getting ready to order one I'd pull off the old one and make sure. You can still set it back in there, tune up and be OK while you wait for the new one to be delivered.

I read here that the bottom of tribute nuts is flat.

When I did the LP nut I used a similar technique - sand a little bit, test fit, sand a little bit.. Kind of an iterative process.

Nice trick with the level, I will try that.

Miles Smiles wrote:
I recently replaced the nut of my Tribute Comanche with one of these:

http://www.graphtech.com/product-304-2/

I also replaced the string retainer with one from Graph Tech.

I took the black nut, because I have in mind it's better for guitars with vibrato system, as the strings may slip better through the string slots. As the bottom of the nut slot is flat on the Tribute Comanche, it may be flat on the Legacy too, so the nut linked to in the first post may work.

Doesn't look bad, I think:
That link has a curved bottom with notch ? Did you sand it flat or something? Or can you get that setup with a flat-bottomed nut?

Thanks for the vids. Did you notice the guy was just sanding a curved nut on a flat surface?

Philby wrote:
I actually kinda like the black ones. My legacy has the rosewood fingerboard and matching head stock so could look pretty cool.

I'm lucky enough to have several good guitar shops close by and some carry these. I will go and see which ones they carry and how they all look up against it.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:02 am

Looks like Graph Tech has flat bottom nuts also: "PQL-5010-00 : TUSQ XL FENDER STYLE FLAT BOTTOM SLOTTED NUT", available in black too: "PT-5010-00 : BLACK TUSQ XL FENDER STYLE FLAT BOTTOM SLOTTED NUT" (http://www.graphtech.com/products/brand ... uitar-nuts)

Need to check dimensions though...

edit: maybe the "PT-5042-00 : BLACK TUSQ XL 42 MM FLAT BOTTOM STRAT NUT" which is only 3/16" high is more suitable ?..

I need to setup the nut of my Tribute S-500 too because I am out of tune at the bottom of the neck

So why not change for TUSQ XL at the same time ?

But I'm not sure I will not need to file the slots anyway cause I'm using 0.10-0.46

I would prefer to give it to a PLEK service for optimal results, but for the price of a nut it's worth trying myself the "file the bottom method", thanks !

Btw the whole G&L guitar setup procedure is detailed in thef manual http://www.glguitars.com/faq/glmanual.pdf

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:46 am
Site Admin

luxigo wrote:

Btw the whole G&L guitar setup procedure is detailed in thef manual http://www.glguitars.com/faq/glmanual.pdf

I recommend using this post which is in this sub-forum, since it includes the current setup information: How-To Guide.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]