S-500 tribute DF Vibrato

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:51 am

I took my 2011 S-500 tribute to get setup by someone who was given good reviews by other but he must not have ever seen the DF vibrato because it is was not right.

Is there any tribute factory setup specs available.

I found the one setup (Current Factory setups for DF vibrato G&L guitars) with the picture showing it should be 2/16 at the back but he also messed with the screws in the front. I need to know what the setting in the front is where the screws are. The picture available looks like it should be level having a 2/16 space all around. So that is what I reset everything to but I don’t think that is right because when I set the string action I have the high E down as far as it will go and it is still 5/64 up. I not sure if the front should be down farther or if the tribute model has a different high setting.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Re: S-500 tribute DF Vibrato

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:10 am

Jeff, the current setup specs should be correct and yes, the height should be the same all the way around, The DF should be parallel with the body when adusted correctly. It sounds like it is high if the saddles are bottomed out. The choices would be to print the spec, take it back to the tech and have him do it right at his cost, or if you are comfortable doing it yourself, that would be my approach. If you set the trem to spec and still have saddles bottom out to get the correct string height, the solution is to shim under the end of the neck, next to the bridge end and that should be the perfect fix. A .020 inch brass shim will change it quite a bit. I have done it to several. Hope that this helps. It seems as though there are too many tech horror stories. This is all nothing more than common sense.-- Darwin

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:27 am

jtripo08 wrote:I took my 2011 S-500 tribute to get setup by someone who was given good reviews by other but he must not have ever seen the DF vibrato because it is was not right.

Is there any tribute factory setup specs available.

I found the one setup (Current Factory setups for DF vibrato G&L guitars) with the picture showing it should be 2/16 at the back but he also messed with the screws in the front. I need to know what the setting in the front is where the screws are. The picture available looks like it should be level having a 2/16 space all around. So that is what I reset everything to but I don’t think that is right because when I set the string action I have the high E down as far as it will go and it is still 5/64 up. I not sure if the front should be down farther or if the tribute model has a different high setting.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

The Tribute setup specs are the same as the USA models. Re-review the post you referenced and you will see that one of the photos shows a Tribute.
Use the Owner's Manual, Version 2 for complete setup steps (reference link in the that post) and substitute the new settings mentioned.

I agree with Darwin, that you might print out this information and bring it back to the tech for doing the setup correctly. It should help educate
him in proper G&L setup.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks for all the info at least I know I am on the right track