P/U volume problem in Mid position!

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:29 am

Just got a Tribute ASAT Classic Bluesboy SH and upgraded neck P/U to the Seth Lover model like the USA's have, but now in the middle position only of P/U switch the volume cut to about half while the Neck and Bridge positions are equal in volume, with stock P/U all 3 positions where equal in volume or normal? Double checked wiring and OK, was only 2 wire P/U.
Anyone else come across this or any idea's?

Re: P/U volume problem in Mid position!

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:40 am

swap the wires, you are out of phase.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:06 pm

I swapped the wire and shield and it works!!! Such easy access, only 2 screws!
Thanks!

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:08 am

I have the same guitar, and i wonder if i should upgrade to a Seth lover in the future...
Would be nice to ear your experience about this upgrade.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:03 am

Lu7s wrote:I have the same guitar, and i wonder if i should upgrade to a Seth lover in the future...

i upgraded from the seth lover to a mississippi queen bare knuckle. what an improvement. i think the seth lover is a poor match for the mfd bridge pup.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:58 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
Lu7s wrote:I have the same guitar, and i wonder if i should upgrade to a Seth lover in the future...

i upgraded from the seth lover to a mississippi queen bare knuckle. what an improvement. i think the seth lover is a poor match for the mfd bridge pup.

Good to know, thank you Louis!
They are in the same price range, is it a "plug n´play" swamp, or their is other parts i should pay attention ?

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Lu7s wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:

Good to know, thank you Louis!
They are in the same price range, is it a "plug n´play" swamp, or their is other parts i should pay attention ?

it's just 2 wires that need soldering. easy.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Thank you Louis!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:13 am

After fixing the volume problem in mid position by swapping the Seth Lover shield to switch and wire to ground, it sometimes made buzzing noises so I switched the wires back so the shield is ground and swapped the bridge p/u's 2 wires instead for the phasing fix suggested but now the bridge p/u has no output and neither p/u in the mid position, neck sounds ok in neck position, I read the 2 wires could hookup either way, so I put everything back for orginal problem. I did also uprade the pots,caps, put in CRL switch besides the neck p/u. What do you think?

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 am

The only way I can think of, is that the bridge pickup has a connection to ground. Try to find that connection and break it up. You then have the choice to use an extra line for ground or connect it with the other, now "new" ground line.

The other option would be to swap the lines on the Seth Lover itself, but for that you will have to solder off the cover first and change the lines inside the pickup.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:27 am

Take a look at the Gallery > Instrument Manuals and Wiring Schematics > ASAT Classic Bluesboy Picture Diagrams.
Check to make sure your bridge pickup ground plate connection is the same as shown.

Also note that G&L uses a potted SD SL pickup (see ASAT Blues Boy Rarebird page in the G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:42 pm

Hey Craig my bridge p/u has the red wire on the right soldered to the brass plate, what does this mean?

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Ampman9 wrote:Hey Craig my bridge p/u has the red wire on the right soldered to the brass plate, what does this mean?

The color shouldn't be important. As the picture clearly shows, one of that wires is connected to ground when the pickup is mounted. For your case, it's the wrong wire. That's why your guitar has been silent, when you swapped the wires of the bridge pickkup. I would solder off that ground connection, then none of the wires will be connected to ground. Then I would take a new wire and solder it to the ground plate directly and the other end to one of the pots backsides. Your pickup will then have 3 wires and you'll be safe for the future and may swap the wires, which are connected to the coil ends only, as you like.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:06 pm

Ampman9 wrote:Hey Craig my bridge p/u has the red wire on the right soldered to the brass plate, what does this mean?

So, what it means is that your bridge pickup is the stock AC pickup and will not work well with the SL Humbucker as is. You will need
to change the ground wiring as is shown in the Gallery photo to duplicate the USA version of the Bluesboy. It's my understanding that Leo Fender
intentionally wired the ground plate this way because he did not like folks swapping out the neck pickup with an aftermarket pickup.

How much difference is the Tribute Bluesboy with the USA Bluesboy, sound wise? I've never AB them.

:ugeek: