Issues for changing from MFDs to SSH setup in S-500?

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi all,

I´m thinking of changing the MFD´s on my S-500 to a SSH (single, single, humbucker) setup. Are there any known issues or problems that might arise because of this?

Any special things to be taken into account for the PTB system?

Thanks!

Re: Issues for changing from MFDs to SSH setup in S-500?

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:06 am

You may want to consider when going to that pickup configuration your tone controls and value of your volume pot. Using the stock 250k pot may make the HB pickup too muddy for you and a 500k could make the singles too bright. There are solutions to that but just be aware. This is a very common issue with SSH setups. I abandoned the PTB system because I wanted a separate tone control for the HB and singles in my Legacy Tribute. Maybe the PTB would work fine but I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to know.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback MJ!

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:43 am

It depends on which Humbucker you plan to use. If in single coil size, I can see no issues. For the 250K Pot, I would say there would be hardly a difference to hear, but you could simply swap the volume pot. The tone control already should be a 500K type and the bass blend should be 1 Meg. The Seymour Duncan single coil sized Humbuckers for example don't need 500K pots, at least regarding to their wiring schemes.

If you plan to use a full sized Humbucker, there of course will be the need of routing the pickguard and most likely the wood too.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks to all!