Help with choosing a nut for a L-2000 Bass, please.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 am

Hi, first post here (I'm "headless" over at Harmony-Central).

I'm going to be replacing the nut on a friends early 80's G & L, L-2000 (lefty, fretless), with a pre-slotted nut.

I know two of the dimensions of the existing nut:

- Front to back, it's a tad over 1/8" (3.4mm/ 1.390")

-Across the fretboard, it's 1 11/16" (43mm/ 1.6945")

I don't know how tall the nut needs to be, and I don't know if the G & L bass uses a curved underside nut, or a flat underside nut.

I've linked some nut resources, from which I was hoping you all could steer me to the correct pre-slotted nut (thanks in advance for your answers):

A P- Bass nut:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 602_263622

Various nuts, with dimensions:

http://www.bassguitarpartsdirect.co.uk/ ... uitar+Nuts

Various nuts, with dimensions:

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_nutsaft.htm

Re: Help with choosing a nut for a L-2000 Bass, please.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Guitar Noir wrote:Hi, first post here (I'm "headless" over at Harmony-Central).

I'm going to be replacing the nut on a friends early 80's G & L, L-2000 (lefty, fretless), with a pre-slotted nut.

Generic answer:

Actually, I'll start with a question: Why a pre-slotted?

Your dimensions appear to be okay, but height and slot depth will be very subjective on a fretless.

I've contact GGJaguar, who should be able to help you in more detail.

Ken Baker
bassesbyleo.com

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:00 pm

Ken Baker:

Although I've got a fair amount of experience with six-string guitars, I've never made a bass nut before, and I don't have a nut file set for basses.

I asked my question with an understanding that there will have to be some adjustment of a pre-slotted nut, but I guess that I'm looking for a nut that is the correct starting-point in the process (I do have some files that I believe will allow me to do the adjustments needed to a pre-slotted nut).

With the dimensions that I do have, I can make a good guess at how tall the nut will have to be, but not knowing if it requires a curved or flat-bottom makes things a bit more difficult.

You see, I won't be able to have the bass on my work-bench for a few days to work-out these things. I'll be working at the bass-owners home and I need to finish the job in one trip (because of the distances involved). Having the correct parts and knowledge before-hand will obviously increase my chances of pulling-of my plan of going to the basses location, fixing the nut, and leaving without too much time passing (yeah, not very likely).

Thanks again for your input.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:38 pm

I have an L2000 Fretless, 1999 Model. It appears to have a flat nut. The ebony slab is flat on the bottom and my bass has a radius between 7.5 to 8.5 in. Fender uses an arched nut on some of their 5 strings but after looking at my L2000, I would be surprised if they would mill it anything other than flat because of the narrow width of the neck and the radius. I cannot tell for sure without having taken the nut out. -- Darwin

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:48 am

I just leave nut replacements to the pros. Don't know how much difficulty it poses for them.

Jim