George Fullerton bridge pup too bright: how to wire a cap in

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:14 am

hey, my George Fullerton bridge pup is way too bright: I know the pup is wired in with no tone control

how would I wire a cap in to emulate a tone control set at "10"? and what value?

I have a Legacy as well, with the split T/B controls, but I'd like the GF to sound more like a traditional strat & leave the neck/middle tone ctrls as-is

thx!!

Re: George Fullerton bridge pup too bright: how to wire a ca

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:51 am

umma_gumma wrote:hey, my George Fullerton bridge pup is way too bright: I know the pup is wired in with no tone control

how would I wire a cap in to emulate a tone control set at "10"? and what value?

I have a Legacy as well, with the split T/B controls, but I'd like the GF to sound more like a traditional strat & leave the neck/middle tone ctrls as-is

thx!!

Have you tried lowering the pickup?

Just a thought.

:ugeek:

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:02 pm

ah, not a bad idea!

I will try that but I think the output will drop too much, compared to the neck/middle

I really like the sound of the GF neck/middle. the Legacy bridge pup is great too. so I want to emulate that I guess

fwiw I find I need to crank G&L pups up as high as they will go, and they still don't get as close to the strings as a Fender would. but it's close enough.

if I leave them down low the output is too low for my tastes. especially switching between guitars you get a huge volume drop

cheers

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:09 pm

hmm I think I found something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Th-K8tglKNc

appears you only need to solder 1 wire onto 2 points

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:07 pm

ok I figured it out...it was slightly different than that diagram, I guess G&L uses the 5way a bit differently

but the concept was the same

I just ran a wire from where the middle tone control joins the 5way switch, over to the lug the bridge pup lead is soldered onto on the other side

Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:18 pm

lol maybe not quite...

the tone controls now work fine, but the straight middle pup is exactly the same sound as the "quack" inbetween middle/bridge...both are quacky!!

back to the drawing board

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:18 am

I would try a .022 cap with a resistor in series tied to the ground ,
-( to find the resistor value that works best for you .your guitar, and set-up...I would
wire in a 250K pot temporarily in place of the resistor, find the sweet spot...triple check that that is
the sweet spot...then measure between the pot lugs and get a resistor that is as close as possible to that value)-

There's no " expander " switch in the GF circuit IIRC ?

I've had a few late 80's/early 90's S-500's that really needed taming, I've found since I sold those S-500's that it
helps to use old jbl's from the 50's at the other end of it all :D :D
Keep us updated...nothing like having the tone in your head come to life .

Elwood

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:40 am

I'm not sure if the George Fullerton Sig. is wired the same as a standard strat, but you could follow THIS DIAGRAM from the Seymour Duncan website. Should work for you