Pickup height?

Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:24 am

Hi,

I have a G&L Legacy from 2007. I've been messing a little bit with it, like changing the pickguard, copper shielding the pickup cavities. After these "adventures", I have setup the pickup height according to this site:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/A ... eight_Pt_1

So my goal is to make it sound as straty as possible. Is there anyone else who has a preferred pickup height on their Legacy which makes it really really straty? That wouldn't mind sharing? :)

- Edson

Re: Pickup height?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:17 am

Bump, anyone? :)

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:53 am

Basically, just keep doing what you're doing. Start with a "stock" height (specs on the G&L website or in a post on these boards), or a height recommended by a reputable source,as you've done. Play it, see how you like the sound and then keep making small adjustments until you get a sound you're happy with - measure, play, adjust, repeat.
The measurements are important, so that you know what your preferred settings are.

Plenty of people could give you specs for what they think sounds "stratty", but it might not be what you think sounds right. You might even need to set the pickup at a different height on the treble side than the bass side, as long as the volume is balanced across the strings :)

P.S. Keep in mind that changing the rest of the setup will change the sound, too, so if you change the height of the trem, the height of the saddles, etc. to change the way it plays you'll need to fiddle with the pickup heights again :geek:

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:31 am

Also keep in mind that all G&L pickups are wound by hand, so what worked on another Legacy may not be ideal on yours. I don't own a Legacy, but I've found with other G&L models that when two similar guitars (even from the same month or two of production, e.g., May/June '86 ASATs or October '82 SC-1s) are set up for their best sound, the pickup heights do not match. I'd chalk that up as a result of being built to order by hand rather than being churned off of a cookie cutter production line. Each one of these instruments is unique, and has its own character.

Ken

Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:00 pm

KenC wrote:Also keep in mind that all G&L pickups are wound by hand
Ken

This is a misnomer. G&L pickups have been machined wound since the early to mid-2000's. However, the pickups are still hand assembled.
See: New G&L YouTube video: G&L Pickups - Proudly made in the USA.

:ugeek: