S-500 tribute Dual-Fulcrum vibrato

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:06 pm

I seem to be having problems with the vibrato setup. When I got the guitar I had it set up and the person really pulled the back of the vibrato close the the guitar body. I don't use it a lot but I didn't like the was it was working so I set it back the settings I found on this site. But know the strings especially the low e will not hold it's pitch. You can hear it and if you have a tuner on it see the pitch going flat and sharp. Not a lot but you can tell. It also does not stay in tune long. I was thinking of putting on the other 2 springs to increase the tension but wanted some other input to see you think this will help or to get other input on what to look at.

Thanks for any input.
Jeff

Re: S-500 tribute Dual-Fulcrum vibrato

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:18 pm

jtripo08 wrote:I seem to be having problems with the vibrato setup. When I got the guitar I had it set up and the person really pulled the back of the vibrato close the the guitar body. I don't use it a lot but I didn't like the was it was working so I set it back the settings I found on this site. But know the strings especially the low e will not hold it's pitch. You can hear it and if you have a tuner on it see the pitch going flat and sharp. Not a lot but you can tell. It also does not stay in tune long. I was thinking of putting on the other 2 springs to increase the tension but wanted some other input to see you think this will help or to get other input on what to look at.

Thanks for any input.
Jeff

The bridge plate should be parallel with the body. In the G&L Knowledgebase, G&L Tech Tips sub-forum, we have this post: Current Factory setups for DF vibrato G&L guitars. Follow it and you should be back to the factory setup.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Re: S-500 tribute Dual-Fulcrum vibrato

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:40 pm

Hi Jeff,

I had the same issue with my mid '90's S-500 - setting up the trem to factory specs gave tuning instability problems on the G, B, and E strings. I kept thinking it was binding at the nut (went through 3 of those). Then I put a third spring in there, adjusted the trem back to parallel with the body and now it's really stable.

On my S-500 the trem claw can take a maximum of 3 springs. I'm not sure whether the Tribbies will take any more than that?

Cheers,

Phil.