Craig, having just received the Equatorial Mahogany satin finish BB,
the question is how do we clean/preserve these woods. The wood
is sealed but very porous and I would be concerned about applying
wax or oil. Does the factory have a recommendation on this and
would it be something that should be posted here? Thanks in advance.-- Darwin

Re: Question For Craig

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Darwin,
I was wondering if you would need a humidifier as well since it is hollow/semi hollow? I was thinking more towards an acoustic guitar but wouldn't the electric benefit from a humidifier as well? I know the wood is thicker but I am sure the inside is not sealed. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Stop

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:08 pm

darwinohm wrote:Craig, having just received the Equatorial Mahogany satin finish BB, the question is how do we clean/preserve these woods. The wood is sealed but very porous and I would be concerned about applying wax or oil. Does the factory have a recommendation on this and would it be something that should be posted here? Thanks in advance.-- Darwin

I will check with the guys at the factory to see what care is needed to
clean/preserve this body wood.

Stay tuned.

:ugeek:

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:54 am

GGL Stop wrote:Darwin,
I was wondering if you would need a humidifier as well since it is hollow/semi hollow? I was thinking more towards an acoustic guitar but wouldn't the electric benefit from a humidifier as well? I know the wood is thicker but I am sure the inside is not sealed. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Stop

a humidifier is helpful with all guitars if the humidity is low. wood moves, necks need adjustment. i have a whole house humidifier and keep the humdity between 45-50% ad it has saved me from having to adjust trussrod, action, etc.

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:40 am

Thanks Craig.-- Darwin

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:55 am

I've been putting ''Beeswax and orange oil'' called ''Feed-N-Wax'' on my MonkeyPod? seems to work really well but hope i'm not screwing
up? it say's for ''all furniture finishes and natural woods?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Louis,
Thanks. Makes sence and the humidity percentage is good to know to.

Stop

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Many of Warwick's basses only have an "oil finish" on a variety of African hardwood bodies. Warwick sells a bee's wax product (that is currently unavailable in the US) and recommends a monthly application and buffing. There's been a bit of discussion on TalkBass about Howard's Feen-N-Wax being a good substitute.

Can't say about using this on an instrument from personal experience, but I hope to soon ;) . I have used Feed-N-Wax on a small woodworking project (over soft maple) and liked the look/feel.

Ken

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Craig wrote:
darwinohm wrote:Craig, having just received the Equatorial Mahogany
satin finish BB, the question is how do we clean/preserve these woods. The wood is sealed
but very porous and I would be concerned about applying wax or oil. Does the factory have
a recommendation on this and would it be something that should be posted here?
Thanks in advance.-- Darwin

I will check with the guys at the factory to see what care is needed to
clean/preserve this body wood.

Stay tuned.

Here is Steve's reply:

The natural satin on the Equatorial Mahogany models starts with 2 coats of
Watco Natural Oil and then a top coat of the same clear satin finish used on the neck.
There should be very little, if any maintenance to do over the long-term with these
instrument. I would suggest not using an oil on the body since the clear satin will
not allow the oil to penetrate the wood and you could end up with any oil sitting on
the surface. The surface of the finish will prove to be very durable.

huck wrote:I've been putting ''Beeswax and orange oil'' called ''Feed-N-Wax'' on my MonkeyPod?
seems to work really well but hope i'm not screwing up? it say's for ''all furniture finishes and
natural woods?

Regarding the finish on the East Indian Walnut (aka Monkey Pod) see this post.

Hope this helps.

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:41 am

Thanks Craig, that is exactly what I wanted to know. It is nice to know the process used. Is it possible to have the care tips of these different woods posted in the Knowledgebase for future reference? Thanks again-- Darwin

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:47 am

darwinohm wrote:Thanks Craig, that is exactly what I wanted to know. It is nice to know the process used. Is it possible to have the care tips of these different woods posted in the Knowledgebase for future reference? Thanks again-- Darwin

Done!

Re: Question For Craig [how do we clean/preserve body woods?

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:03 am

Wow! Thanks Craig.

Re: Question For Craig [how do we clean/preserve body woods?

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks Craig,
I'll stop with the beezwax!

Re: How do we clean/preserve body woods?

Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:52 am

Hello everyone,

Im a newbie and recently got myself a G&L Legacy Tribute Blueburst, my first guitar. :D

I want to know how to take good care of it. I tried looking for similar topics here but could not find it. Can someone provide me a link if there is any!

I have a bunch of questions.

So the guitar frets are poly finish, so Lemon Oil is a no go (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6546&p=43947&hilit=tribute+legacy+finish)
Can Bore Oil be used? Or plain water is more than enough for the maple frets??

What is to be used to clean the neck?

What about the body? Can a Carnauba Wax like the one by Dunlop 65 or Planet Waves be used?? Or is it a no go for the blueburst?? It claims it "Polishes and beautifies, while hiding light scratches. Leaves a moisture and stain-resistant barrier."
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/bodygl ... of-carnuba

Is such layer of "barrier" bad for the body? Does it hamper the finish/texture etc and must not be used??

Similarly can Dunlop's Guitar Polish & Cleaner be used? It claims "it leaves a micro-thin, stain-resistant protective layer that won't build up."
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/formul ... h--cleaner

If these products can be used, in what time gaps should they be used? Once a month or once a week etc

The internet has mixed opinion about these products. I was wondering whether Craig or someone could verify what is appropriate!

Im a newbie and have limited idea. I want to make sure I dont end up screwing my beauty!

(Im sorry if I hijacked the thread or Re asked a question that has already been answered. I searched the forum but could not find all the answers)

Cheers,
Steven

Re: How do we clean/preserve body woods?

Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:37 am

Steven,

You will probably get a few different opinions on this, as a lot of it comes down to personal preference. My G&Ls get a wipe down with a clean, dry cloth whenever I feel the need. I have no set schedule. The backs of the necks get the same treatment. Fret boards get a light scrubbing with a toothbrush when they first come home, if there is any finger gunk from previous players. If there's really bad build-up, I will dip the toothbrush in rubbing alcohol. Then I wipe the board down with a clean, dry cotton cloth. The only treatment I ever apply is 100% pure roasted walnut oil (found in the grocery store, usually in with the salad dressings). That goes on all of the rosewood and ebony boards during the first string change, and maybe once a year or so thereafter. I wipe it on, let it soak in, and then buff off any residue with a cotton cloth. The first time I do this, it usually takes a couple of applications before it has absorbed evenly over the entire fret board.

I hope this helps.

Ken