Neck width options

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:00 am

I am wondering about whether the #4 neck is actually wider than the other necks. From browsing the forum I learned that all the current necks (i.e. 2012) have the same width at the 22nd fret*. I'm hoping to get more information about the width of the USA guitar #4 neck at the 12th fret compared to the other necks. That is, whether or not the "extra-wide" is actually wider than the other necks aside from the nut and string spacing. Thank you.

Craig reported in the thread 'neck widths:' "All current guitar neck butts measure 2.24."

Re: Neck width options

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:19 am

I have to suspect that the stated 2.24" width is for the neck pocket, which would allow all necks to fit in the standard pocket. I would think the fretboard width on a #4 neck would indeed be wider at the 12th fret than say a #1 neck. Stay tuned, I could be wrong... :confused0077:

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:03 pm

The neck width do indeed not differ at the pocket, except for a rare #5 neck as discussed on this ASAT page on Greg Gagliano's website. And even there, the extra width of the fingerboard is in flares on the side. Otherwise, the difference in width is all at the nut, with #3 and 4 necks having larger string spacings there. o it is more a difference in taper than the width if that makes sense.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:15 pm

yowhatsshakin wrote:The neck width do indeed not differ at the pocket, except for a rare #5 neck as discussed on this ASAT page on Greg Gagliano's website. And even there, the extra width of the fingerboard is in flares on the side. Otherwise, the difference in width is all at the nut, with #3 and 4 necks having larger string spacings there. o it is more a difference in taper than the width if that makes sense.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Yes, this is correct.
For example, my #3 neck measurements are: 1 11/16" nut, 2 1/8" 12th fret, 2 3/16" 22nd fret.
My #1 neck measurements are: 1 5/8" nut, 2" 12th fret, 2 3/16" 22nd fret.

:ugeek: