Kinman Pickups and the K9 Harness

Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 am

After playing a Tribute S-500 for about two years, I'm ready to move on to a custom order USA guitar. As much as I am impressed by the MFD pickups, I want to make sure that I set myself up with a platform that will allow me to upgrade to the pickups of my choice at a later date if I decide to do so. It seems that Kinman is getting a lot of buzz these days for their replacement pickups. Kinman also offers a K9 harness that allows for additional pickup combinations and tonal variation. These harnesses do not fit on a standard G&L because of the 'angle of the selector switch'. It seems that a mod could be made, but I'm not sure it would be worth it. So, I have a couple of questions:

Does anyone have experience using Kinman (specifically Woodstock or Woodstock Plus) pickups on a S-500 or Legacy?

How does the S-500 switching and PTB system compare to the Kinman K9 Harness?

Where can I find technical information about the S-500 switching?

Lastly, am I missing the mark here? Should I just go with a Legacy if I am going to change out the pickups?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Kinman Pickups and the K9 Harness

Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:02 am

If your going to change out the pickups you should just get a Legacy. I have the blues set of Kinmans in my guitar. I did not use the Kinman harness. My pickups are wired just like a G&L Legacy with Vol Treb, and Tone for all three pickups. I love the sound of the Kinmans. They are the best noiseless single coil pick ups I have used. No noise. Strat sound.