Tribute Series: Saddle Lock Bridge Tension Screw Size?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:51 am

My Saddle Lock Bridge tension screw may be stripped. I can screw it in so far, then it just turns; it doesn't tighten.

For Tribute Series guitars, I know that the Saddle Lock Bridge tension screw requires a 2mm hex key; however, does anyone know the size (diameter?) of the tension screw?

I'd like to buy a new screw (and no, I don't need a 6-pack, as is sold at the G&L on-line store).

Thanks, guys.

Re: Tribute Series: Saddle Lock Bridge Tension Screw Size?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:36 am

it's more likely that the screw is not stripped, rather the threads in the bridge.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:52 am

Another possibility is that you are missing the nylon bushing and the set screw
has gone beyond the threads. If the bushing is there, you might add another
bushing between the screw and the other bushing. If that does not help, remove
the screw and take it with you to where you will buy a replacement. They should
be able to match the thread size (metric). Sorry, I don't have the measurement
for you.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:28 pm

louis cyfer wrote:it's more likely that the screw is not stripped, rather the threads in the bridge.

Really? Well, I AM missing the nylon bushing, as Craig suggests.

If the threads in the bridge are stripped, then I guess I won't be locking my bridge any time soon...

On the other hand, I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring the screw along to ACE Hardware and try to match it up with a replacement. This way, I'll know for sure where the problem lies.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:34 pm

Craig wrote:Another possibility is that you are missing the nylon bushing and the set screw has gone beyond the threads.

Oh, so it's possible that I screwed it in too far? I'm definitely missing the nylon bushing.

Craig wrote:remove the screw and take it with you to where you will buy a replacement. They should be able to match the thread size (metric).

Sounds like a plan, Craig. This way I'll know for sure where the issue lies.

Thanks.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:11 pm

FenderGuy53 wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:it's more likely that the screw is not stripped, rather the threads in the bridge.

If the threads in the bridge are stripped, then I guess I won't be locking my bridge any time soon...

On the other hand, I guess it wouldn't hurt to bring the screw along to ACE Hardware and try to match it up with a replacement. This way, I'll know for sure where the problem lies.

it can be the bushing. but it's not the screw based on what you describe.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:49 pm

louis cyfer wrote:
FenderGuy53 wrote:

Could I use a longer screw, without the nylon bushing, or do I have to use the nylon bushing?

Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:14 pm

FenderGuy53 wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:
FenderGuy53 wrote:

Could I use a longer screw, without the nylon bushing, or do I have to use the nylon bushing?

You definitely want to use a nylon bushing so that the metal screw does not score the trem bar.
Scoring the trem bar will make it difficult to get the loosened bar out of the arm socket.

Hope this helps.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Craig wrote:
FenderGuy53 wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:
FenderGuy53 wrote:

You definitely want to use a nylon bushing so that the metal screw does not score the trem bar.
Scoring the trem bar will make it difficult to get the loosened bar out of the arm socket.

Hope this helps.

trem bar on a saddle lock? either there is something really new, or you are slipping craig.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:53 pm

louis cyfer wrote:trem bar on a saddle lock? either there is something really new, or you are slipping craig.

Oh man, I've been totally distracted today and missed that it's a Saddle Lock bridge. :oops:
Sorry for the bogus post.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:04 pm

Craig wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:trem bar on a saddle lock? either there is something really new, or you are slipping craig.

Oh man, I've been totally distracted today and missed that it's a Saddle Lock bridge. :oops:
Sorry for the bogus post.

I have to admit, you had me going for awhile with that one...

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 am

I put my digital calipers on the tension screw of my Tribute Saddle Lock bridge.

Rounded up, the screw measures 3mm in diameter and 4mm in length.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:02 pm

FenderGuy53 wrote:I put my digital calipers on the tension screw of my Tribute Saddle Lock bridge.

Here some more detailed info on this: Saddle Lock Bridge and grub screw.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:21 pm

FenderGuy53 wrote:I put my digital calipers on the tension screw of my Tribute Saddle Lock bridge.

This is inaccurate - I believe the poster inverted the dimensions.

It is just under 4mm diameter and 3mm length. A M4 grub screw is the perfect fit for the saddle lock bridge, and can be longer than 3mm - I've just fitted a 5mm long M4 grub screw.