New custom shop SB-2 won't set up without buzzing

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:17 am

Howdy folks, new G&L owner and first time poster.

I have a problem. I received my custom shop SB-2 last week. Went from overjoyed to disappointed. I couldn't set the bass up to not buzz at moderate fingerstyle force. I've been setting up my own basses for near to 20 years and have never had so much trouble finding the sweet spot . The truss rod requires more relief than I'd like to stop back buzzing. The G string saddle was maybe 1/32" off the bridge plate from the factory, so downward adjustment is very limited. Had shop tech shim neck, (why am I shimming the neck on a brand new bass?) and it came back with the two bridge end neck screw holes stripped. I didn't do the stripping as I know the difference between snug and too tight. I removed the shim as it caused buzzing on the upper 3 or 4 frets, which is when I discovered the stripped holes. The neck doesn't need a tilt shim, it needs to raised about 1/16".

I sent G&L an email today and hope to get a response within the next day or two. I'm considering returning the bass, but I just love the out of phase pickup tones, the nice finish, the balanced body, the lack of neck dive and the quality of the wood.

Has anybody had these sorts of problems? Are these problems just in my head? Am I being too critical? Is the bridge set low on all of their basses?

Just a bit confused and disappointed.

Thanks

Re: New custom shop SB-2 won't set up without buzzing

Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:54 am

might want to ask at http://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/ as well, they may have more info. i always put superglue into the neck screw holes if i take the neck off, that eliminates the issue with stripping. why were you trying to lower the g string if it's already buzzing?

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:44 am

Thanks for the tip. New to this forum.

The G string didn't buss at the factory medium action, but I like a medium-low action. With a fair amount of relief to control back buzzing I'm pretty bottomed out at the bridge saddle. On my Pedulls back buzzing was never an issue. Thinking about it right now, maybe the nut is cut a little too deep. That would help the back buzzing and would allow for less neck relief with more bridge adjustment travel.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:14 am

ctwheby wrote:Thanks for the tip. New to this forum.

The G string didn't buss at the factory medium action, but I like a medium-low action. With a fair amount of relief to control back buzzing I'm pretty bottomed out at the bridge saddle. On my Pedulls back buzzing was never an issue. Thinking about it right now, maybe the nut is cut a little too deep. That would help the back buzzing and would allow for less neck relief with more bridge adjustment travel.

there you go. back buzzing, do you mean buzzing behind the fretted note? a low nut would definitely cause that, but that has never bothered me, you can't hear it through an amp. have you measured the first fret clearance from the nut?