Is the positioning of the Saddlelock bridge adjustable?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am

I'm looking at a ASAT Special Deluxe on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Handed-2010-G-L-USA-ASAT-Deluxe-Honeyburst-/300754714982?pt=Guitar&hash=item460660c166

The high E string doesn't even come close to lining up with the pickup pole pieces & is very close to the edge of the neck. Can the Saddlelock bridge be repositioned (adjusted) to correct this? I know about trying to straigten neck alignment, but this one looks like a bigger problem than that. Advise?

Thanks!

Re: Is the positioning of the Saddlelock bridge adjustable?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:53 am

I would be willing to bet that string alignment issue is related to 'neck shift'.

See this post:
http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3488

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:00 pm

I know about trying to straigten neck alignment, but this one looks like a bigger problem than that.

As Emily Litella would say.........."Never Mind"............didn't see your statement.

But that E string so close to the edge does look like the neck shift issue. Hard to believe G&L would ship an instrument with a defect like that.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Yes, hopefully G&L would not send out a guitar with that condition. G&L does use the SAME Saddlelock bridge on both the right handed and Lefty models - so when you "lock down" the saddles, it tends to move the strings towards the high E side, OPPOSITE the direction on RH models. :confused0007:

I'm thinking I may make an offer, but not sure if I want to gamble. THe guy isn't offering any returns..

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:30 pm

It's odd the seller would not have noticed this issue--I can see not noticing the alignment over the pole pieces, but the string so close to the edge of the fingerboard is too obvious--maybe he has noticed and doesn't want to mention it.

Maybe you could contact the seller and see if he is willing to attempt the neck shift maneuver to see if anything changes.

Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:46 pm

I suspect this is an illusion due to the positioning the camera. The shot is not taken directly over the guitar but more to the topside of the photo. The nut is aligned perfectly and if you zoom in on the last photo the alignment looks pretty normal. The 1 st picture will look like that the way the picture was taken. My opinion for what it's worth.-- Darwin

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:22 pm

suave eddie wrote:It's odd the seller would not have noticed this issue--I can see not noticing the alignment over the pole pieces, but the string so close to the edge of the fingerboard is too obvious--maybe he has noticed and doesn't want to mention it.

Maybe you could contact the seller and see if he is willing to attempt the neck shift maneuver to see if anything changes.

Well, I mentioned the alignment issue to the seller & he says he didn't notice the misalignment until I mentioned it.. (?) He says it doesn't cause any problems when he's playing it (?) I guess he wants to sell it because he bought a new (lefty) PRS Custom 24 he likes better.. I have my eye on one myself!!

Thanks for the input! :thumbup:

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Lefty wrote:I'm looking at a ASAT Special Deluxe on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Handed-2010-G-L-USA-ASAT-Deluxe-Honeyburst-/300754714982?pt=Guitar&hash=item460660c166

The high E string doesn't even come close to lining up with the pickup pole pieces & is very close to the edge of the neck. Can the Saddlelock bridge be repositioned (adjusted) to correct this? I know about trying to straigten neck alignment, but this one looks like a bigger problem than that. Advise?

Thanks!

suave eddie wrote:I would be willing to bet that string alignment issue is related to 'neck shift'.

See this post:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3488

darwinohm wrote:I suspect this is an illusion due to the positioning the camera. The shot is not taken directly over the guitar but more to the topside of the photo. The nut is aligned perfectly and if you zoom in on the last photo the alignment looks pretty normal. The 1 st picture will look like that the way the picture was taken. My opinion for what it's worth.-- Darwin

The Saddle-Lock bridge is not position adjustable.

Here are a couple of photos to illustrate why (note the foot protusion at the bottom of the bridge):

I agree with suave eddie and Darwin that it probably just needs the neck re-alignment per the
String alignment issues and a simple cure post. Picture shot angles can be misleading.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Craig wrote:
Lefty wrote:I'm looking at a ASAT Special Deluxe on eBay:

Thanks!

suave eddie wrote:I would be willing to bet that string alignment issue is related to 'neck shift'.

See this post:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3488

darwinohm wrote:I suspect this is an illusion due to the positioning the camera. The shot is not taken directly over the guitar but more to the topside of the photo. The nut is aligned perfectly and if you zoom in on the last photo the alignment looks pretty normal. The 1 st picture will look like that the way the picture was taken. My opinion for what it's worth.-- Darwin

The Saddle-Lock bridge is not position adjustable.

Here are a couple of photos to illustrate why (note the foot protusion at the bottom of the bridge):

I agree with suave eddie and Darwin that it probably just needs the neck re-alignment per the
String alignment issues and a simple cure post. Picture shot angles can be misleading.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thanks Craig! I was pretty sure the Saddlelock bridge position was not adjustable, but I never tried it so I thought I'd ask. That guitar probably does just need the neck realigned. :|

Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:12 pm

Not sure if the current models are made in the same fashion as the Leo-era ones. On the Leo-era ones, the oblong route for the boss (the part that sinks down into the body) is a bit wider so that proper positioning//alignment of the bridge can be made. I know this firsthand b/c I installed a saddle lock bridge on a 2nd ASAT Sig body that hadn't had the bridge holes drilled yet. Its possible that the bridge on this guitar wasn't centered exactly before it was mounted. I have seen this on some Leo-era ASATs as well. If this is the case - remedying it is possible but probably not worth your time.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
KF

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:49 am

Well, I mentioned the alignment issue to the seller & he says he didn't notice the misalignment until I mentioned it..

So the seller does acknowledge the alignment issue, and it is not an illusion due to photography angles?

Is he willing to try to shift it to see if that will correct it?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:04 pm

suave eddie wrote:
Well, I mentioned the alignment issue to the seller & he says he didn't notice the misalignment until I mentioned it..

So the seller does acknowledge the alignment issue, and it is not an illusion due to photography angles?

Is he willing to try to shift it to see if that will correct it?

while the photo makes it look worse, there is definitely a skew towards the treble side. the pups not lining up in not unusual, as those appear to be standard humbuckers, not the trembuckers (f-spaced). of course i maybe wrong, i am just going off of the pic.