modding an ASAT Special

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:34 am

I just bought my second G&L. It's a Tribby ASAT Special. I bought it from a friend who is closing his store, and I got a special price. A couple of years ago I had a similar guitar, but iit was a semi hollow, which I preferred due to it's lighter weight.

The guitar I really wanted was the bluesboy, but my friend had very little inventory left and I got one of only two he had left.

So here's my question. Does anyone here have any experience replacing the neck pup in an asat special?

If so, I'd like to hear about it.

Re: modding an ASAT Special

Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:27 pm

what do you want to replace it with?

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 am

louis cyfer wrote:what do you want to replace it with?

I believe he hinted about a bluesBoy so I'm assuming a Humbucker?

Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:47 am

Actually, I was planning on replacing the neck pup on my ASAT Special with the Seth Lover. After having it a couple of weeks, though, I've fallen in love with its spanky tones and its superb playability! Up until now I believed that no axe could match my Heritage with its roller bridge in that regard. My ASAT seems to be its equal.

I'll just play around with her as she is, and see what music we can make.

By the way, I see that the current generation of Tribute Bluesboys now uses a G&L made HB rather than the Duncan.

I haven't played any of these. What's the feeling around here with regard to this pickup? I'm a huge fan of the Seth Lover.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:26 am

llamov wrote:
By the way, I see that the current generation of Tribute Bluesboys now uses a G&L made HB rather than the Duncan.

The Tribute Bluesboys have always been spec'd with G&L HB: see viewtopic.php?p=41133#p41133.
They did change which G&L HB in the current models. From the G&L AS4250B Alnico humbucker (with chrome cover)
to the G&L AS4255C Alnico humbucker with Chrome cover. See viewtopic.php?p=37#p37.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:44 pm

I'm attempting to sell an american standard strat and gibson les paul traditional pro, and I want to buy a G&L ASAT Special with the proceeds. I've always wanted one, I love those big MFD pickups. If I sell both, I can afford an american made model, though I would still like to go used, or I can grab one of the tributes and save my money. I KNOW the American model will be better, but will it really be worth several hundred, if not close to a thousand more dollars? I like that tributes have a 9 inch fretboard radius. If I got an American, I'd have to hold out for one with the 12 inch radius, I don't care for the vintage radius on alot of the American models.........

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:25 am

jollyllp wrote:I'm attempting to sell an american standard strat and gibson les paul traditional pro, and I want to buy a G&L ASAT Special with the proceeds. I've always wanted one, I love those big MFD pickups. If I sell both, I can afford an american made model, though I would still like to go used, or I can grab one of the tributes and save my money. I KNOW the American model will be better, but will it really be worth several hundred, if not close to a thousand more dollars? I like that tributes have a 9 inch fretboard radius. If I got an American, I'd have to hold out for one with the 12 inch radius, I don't care for the vintage radius on alot of the American models.........

since the standard #1 neck is a 12" radius, you are likely to get that, and you can get a used american one for 600-700 bucks. with the used tributes running around 400 bucks, i can not justify buying a tribute.