Saddle position

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:09 pm

I looked at the G&L documents and nothing said about saddle placement.
What I have found online is

http://tinyurl.com/d7wt2ad
First, determine the scale of your guitar. Measure from the body-side of the nut to precisely over the 12th Fret. If you double this measurement, you have the scale of your guitar.

Using the distance from the nut to the 12th fret (we’ll call this measurement “x”), measure from the 12th fret to the bridge. Using the screws on the back of the saddle, set the individual saddles to the following specs:

Note: I find it is easier to make the initial adjustments with the strings loosened. Once you set the saddles, tune the guitar back to pitch.

Low E: 1/8” longer than X
A: 1/16” longer than X
D: 1/32” longer than X
G: 1/8” longer than X
B: 1/16” longer than X
High E: 1/32” longer than X

What does G&L recommend?

Re: Saddle position

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:22 pm

meowmix wrote:I looked at the G&L documents and nothing said about saddle placement.

First, determine the scale of your guitar. Measure from the body-side of the nut to precisely over the 12th Fret. If you double this measurement, you have the scale of your guitar.

Using the distance from the nut to the 12th fret (we’ll call this measurement “x”), measure from the 12th fret to the bridge. Using the screws on the back of the saddle, set the individual saddles to the following specs:

Note: I find it is easier to make the initial adjustments with the strings loosened. Once you set the saddles, tune the guitar back to pitch.

What does G&L recommend?

Those settings above are probably good starting points.
The final location of each saddle is determined by setting the intonation of the string on it.
I will see if I can get the starting distances that the factory uses prior to final setup.

Stay tuned. ;)

:ugeek:

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:20 pm

meowmix wrote:I looked at the G&L documents and nothing said about saddle placement.

What does G&L recommend?

just intonate your guitar. those are your saddle positions. determined by a tuner, not a tape measure.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:26 pm

It is from my understanding of how a luthier works. Have a starting position and move from there.
By being in the general area will speed things up a bit. From the website, it seems all S-type guitar saddles look the same.

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:17 pm

meowmix wrote:It is from my understanding of how a luthier works. Have a starting position and move from there.
By being in the general area will speed things up a bit. From the website, it seems all S-type guitar saddles look the same.

On the High E string, adjust the distance from the nut (fretboard side) to the front of the bridge saddle to 25.5" (the scale length of your guitar), by moving the saddle up or back with the adjustment screw at the back of the bridge.

Once the High E string is set, you stagger the remaining saddles like this:

It simply a starting pattern. The final positioning will occur when you intonate the guitar.

I hope this helps.