Is the fixed resistor still being used in ASATs?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi to All,

I have another thread running, to get clarity on wiring in 2x 2011 near new MFD PUs to my 2004 ASAT Tribute Classic, and replacing all the pots and caps with original values. Craig has been assisting, thank you.

ON G&L's website there is under "wiring diagrams", (http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/ASA ... iagram.pdf) this drawing by P.Gagon 1/98 showing a fixed 6.8K resistor from the tone pot. To where does this run? To a common earth with the volume pot (see the "T" junction on the diagram), or to "2" adjacent to the output jack (JK1)?

And, what is this "2" connected to (the rectangle on the far right) which is the same symbol use for the PU selector SW1?

Finally, is this resistor useful, or will it make the guitar less country twang bright?
Unfortunately, I have never heard my model Tribute played with original MFD PUs, so I dont have a tonal starting point.

Cheers,

Don

Re: Is the fixed resistor still being used in ASATs?

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:37 am

donnyb wrote:Hi to All,

I have another thread running, to get clarity on wiring in 2x 2011 near new MFD PUs to my 2004 ASAT Tribute Classic, and replacing all the pots and caps with original values. Craig has been assisting, thank you.

ON G&L's website there is under "wiring diagrams", (http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/ASA ... iagram.pdf) this drawing by P.Gagon 1/98 showing a fixed 6.8K resistor from the tone pot. To where does this run? To a common earth with the volume pot (see the "T" junction on the diagram), or to "2" adjacent to the output jack (JK1)?

And, what is this "2" connected to (the rectangle on the far right) which is the same symbol use for the PU selector SW1?

Finally, is this resistor useful, or will it make the guitar less country twang bright?
Unfortunately, I have never heard my model Tribute played with original MFD PUs, so I dont have a tonal starting point.

Cheers,

Don

The dot above the ground symbol where the wires meet indicates that the wires connect there. The 6.8k resistor is connected to the ground which is also connected to the rim of the output jack, which is the rectangle you're wondering about. The output jack diagram is shown in a side view of sorts and the rectangle represents the hole through which you push the plug and which makes a connection with the shell of the plug.

The square symbol in the pickup selector diagram might look the same but it represents the wiper that connects with the switch contacts for the pickups. I suppose it's intended to convey how it can slide and touch one or both of the contacts, depending on its position.

The 6.8k resistor limits how dark the tone can get when you turn it all the way down. With the tone at the brightest setting, I would think the extra resistance is so small it has no effect, but in theory, if anything, it would make the guitar ever so slightly brighter.

Re: Is the fixed resistor still being used in ASATs?

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Thank you jakkanan. That all makes sense, even though I am still driving on 'L' plates on the soldering iron. Thanks for your trouble to make it easy to understand. Don