Commanche-UK source for tone pots if available...

Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:00 pm

I have a USA Commanche, which is around 3-4 years old.

The Bass cut pot cuts the output if at zero and so I guess it is faulty.

I understand that it is a 1meg ohm pot with a solid shaft (linear?) and one that I found difficulty in sourcing in the UK.

The online store shows a 1meg ohm pot but does not state whether it is suitable for what I want.

I tried to look for an email address to enquire on the G&L website and it refers me to this forum for guidance, which I feel isn't great way to cover these types of enquiries.

Can someone please advise on whether this part can be sourced in the Uk or if not wha the alternative is?

I hope that someone can help.

Steve

Re: Commanche-UK source for tone pots if available...

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi Steve,

You'll find the wiring diagram for the Comanche in the Gallery of this forum. If it is the bass pot you'll need a 1MΩ pot indeed which automagically will have the taper commensurate with your bass tone pot. Since the Comanche has knurled knobs you'll need the solid shaft.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:50 pm

you need a 1 meg reverse audio taper, which is c both in the us and uk.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:59 pm

You might check with the G&L distributor in the UK,
otherwise you can order it from the G&L On-Line Store.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:
Last edited by Craig on Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated G&L On-Line Store link

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for you help.

Does anyone know if there are there any alternative suppliers in the event I can't get one from the manufacturer?

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Are you sure its linear? I thinks its log.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... _Pots.html

http://www.allparts.com/CTS-1-Meg-Solid ... 89-000.htm

http://www.allparts.com/CTS-1-Meg-Split ... 88-000.htm - Linear

I think there is no difference between solid and split shafts. I have the same knobs, my tone is solid and the volume splited stock from G&L.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:22 pm

rk12 wrote:Are you sure its linear? I thinks its log.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... _Pots.html

http://www.allparts.com/CTS-1-Meg-Solid ... 89-000.htm

http://www.allparts.com/CTS-1-Meg-Split ... 88-000.htm - Linear

I think there is no difference between solid and split shafts. I have the same knobs, my tone is solid and the volume splited stock from G&L.

it is reverse audio taper. there is a big difference4 between the solid and split/knurled shafts. one is for strat style knobs, the other is tele style with a set screw.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:39 pm

louis my Invader came out of the factory with tele knobs, the tone is solid the push/pull is split, they both working fine.

I looked in the g&l site and Commanche is with tele knobs. If the thread opener has tele knobs both solid & split shafts will be fine.

As for the pot you absolutely right, reverse audio taper indeed.

Try this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-O-S-CTS-USA-1 ... 2c65f9e07c

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:59 pm

rk12 wrote:louis my Invader came out of the factory with tele knobs, the tone is solid the push/pull is split, they both working fine.

I looked in the g&l site and Commanche is with tele knobs. If the thread opener has tele knobs both solid & split shafts will be fine.

As for the pot you absolutely right, reverse audio taper indeed.

Try this - http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-O-S-CTS-USA-1 ... 2c65f9e07c

you need a brass insert on the split shaft if using tele knobs and it still doesn't work as well. if you want to lower the knobs and have them turn nice and even with the body. otherwise with the split shaft the set screw bends one side and the knob will not sit completely level.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:07 pm

why not tighten the screw exactly on the split?

You right not really perfect fit but close. The problem is that I couldn't find solid shaft push/pull pot anywhere.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:57 pm

rk12 wrote:why not tighten the screw exactly on the split?

You right not really perfect fit but close. The problem is that I couldn't find solid shaft push/pull pot anywhere.

i found a solid shaft push push at a local store. i never use push pull, i think they are too cumbersome to use.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:03 am

Well, I think they add more versatility, you have better solution that not requires drilling in the guitar?

I mean I never saw branded solid push/pull, alpha or bourns, cts even stopped making these pots as far as I know.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks to all of the people that posted and who gave advice.

The upshot is that the pot costs $6.95 or £4.50 sterling + postage to order from the G&L store-so it is not an expensive item to manufacture.

Postage of a very small item to the UK is around $80.00! I guess to force you to have to purchase from the UK distributor.

The UK distributor will charge $18.50 or £12.00 sterling for the same part (4 times the cost) although the postage is $2.30 or £1.50 sterling. I know that the postage is going to be more from US to UK but not $80!

Would any of the you US based folks be happy buying parts from overseas knowing that they would be treated the same way?

Looking elsewhere at present for this item-it's not the monetary difference but the principle of being discrininated against due to my location that p**ses me off.

Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:06 pm

Stevejon38 wrote:Thanks to all of the people that posted and who gave advice.

The upshot is that the pot costs $6.95 or £4.50 sterling + postage to order from the G&L store-so it is not an expensive item to manufacture.

Postage of a very small item to the UK is around $80.00! I guess to force you to have to purchase from the UK distributor.

The UK distributor will charge $18.50 or £12.00 sterling for the same part (4 times the cost) although the postage is $2.30 or £1.50 sterling. I know that the postage is going to be more from US to UK but not $80!

Would any of the you US based folks be happy buying parts from overseas knowing that they would be treated the same way?

Looking elsewhere at present for this item-it's not the monetary difference but the principle of being discrininated against due to my location that p**ses me off.

Did you contact the G&L On-Line store about International shipping?
The default shipping charges are from the shipper G&L uses, not G&L themselves.

From the G&L On-Line Store:
Shipping Information

Our shopping cart will automatically calculate shipping costs using current Real-Time UPS shipping rates.

International customers:
Please contact us at webstore@bbesound.com or dial 1-714-897-6766 for additional shipping options prior to placing your order.

All orders will be processed within 3-4 business days.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:30 am

look at mouser electronics and their shipping. i contacted bourns about a pot i couldn't find at any retailer, and they didn't have any in stock. they made some and sent me 20 for free. talk about service. it was the 250k linear taper low torque split shaft pot. i would have to say that puts bourns electronics as the best customer support i have yet to experience. and while they claimed 20% tolerance, i have found all of them between 235-257kohms. much better than advertised.

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks again for your help.

Re: Craig.

The bbesound email link that you gratefully copied from their website is no longer valid and the email bounced back.

I looked on the G&L website to see if there was a contact email address but I couldn't find one.

If anyone from the company is reading this, can you please chip in and help?

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:49 pm

Stevejon38 wrote:Thanks again for your help.

The bbesound email link that you gratefully copied from their website is no longer valid and the email bounced back.

I looked on the G&L website to see if there was a contact email address but I couldn't find one.

I will contact the person responsible for the G&L On-Line Store and let him know about the email issue.
I will post a follow up when I hear back from him that it has been fixed.

Stay tuned.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Craig wrote:
Stevejon38 wrote:Thanks again for your help.

I will contact the person responsible for the G&L On-Line Store and let him know about the email issue.
I will post a follow up when I hear back from him that it has been fixed.

Stay tuned.

Their email address is currently working.