G&L ASAT Tribute Classic - string tree question

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi to All,

What height should the string tree be screwed down to on the headstock of this guitar - flush and tight, OR down to a certain height from the headstock surface?

Thanks, Don

Re: G&L ASAT Tribute Classic - string tree question

Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:20 pm

donnyb wrote:Hi to All,

What height should the string tree be screwed down to on the headstock of this guitar - flush and tight, OR down to a certain height from the headstock surface?

Thanks, Don

Flush and tight.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:50 pm

Jos, Thanks again ! That is a very sharp break angle off the back of the nut. Does this help give the G&L a brighter twang on the 1st and 2nd strings compared to other brands?

Don

Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Hey Don,

Your response made me wonder a bit. Does your neck have the black plastic string tree or a metal string tree? Here a link to some G&L pics; the top 2 have metal, the bottom shows the older plastic string tree.

Here a pick (not the best mind you) of my Junior II where you can see a) how the metal string tree is mounted and b) what kind of string angle that corresponds to (click for larger version):
And here one with a plastic string tree:
Or does your guitar have a Fender style string tree? This would imply that your string tree was also parted out :eh: The Fender string tree looks more like:
Image.
Image.
Under the 'dime' there is still a post and on my ASAT '50, the break angle is not substantially different than on my other ASAT's.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Jos, mine's a plastic type close or the same as the second photo, and is missing the spacer underneath (why am I not surprised). What is the spacer made from under the plastic'T'? I have the break angle almost identical, without the spacer as it turns out. Thanks for all your effort to assist, Don

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Don,

It is similar black plastic tubing. But in principle anything will do: tubing, stacks of washers or cardboard/paper(?). You just raise the bar (no pun intended but still funny) of the 'T' to the right hight which is about 2 to 2.5 times the height of the bar. But you most likely are able to find something suitable at your nearest hardware store.

Hope this helps,

- Jos