Issue with early 90's (3 bolt) neck/truss rod

Wed May 16, 2012 7:01 am

Hi, this is my first post but I've lurked often and appreciate the site.

I was setting up my guitar last week (I'm no techie, but I've been able to do this in the past using the owner manual specs many times with no issues). This time, when I started the neck had a ton of relief, but the rod was pretty stiff as I tried to make incremental adjustments (about 1/8th turn at a time). In the past I've generally never had to turn more than a 1/4 turn in either direction to get it right, but this time it was way off. After the several adjustments the relief still wasn't right and the rod was so stiff that I thought better of it and took it to my tech as I needed a new nut anyway.

I haven't picked it up yet, but I talked to the tech yesterday. He lubed the rod liberally and got it close (I haven't done measurements yet, but he said the overall setup is fine but about 1/64" higher than he normally would as the truss rod was maxed out.

Anyone else encounter this issue? If it's fine for now that's great, but I'm concerned about it going forward and I LOVE this guitar.
If worse comes to worse are 3 bolt necks even available? I have one of Dan Erlewine's books where he had a couple of similar projects on different guitar types where he was able to work it in part by correctively bending the neck by hand independent of the truss rod, not sure if anyone has ever had to have something like that done. Thanks so much!

Re: Issue with early 90's (3 bolt) neck/truss rod

Wed May 16, 2012 8:04 am

Yes, this has been encountered before. I would recommend removing the truss rod nut and place a couple of washers on the truss rod and re-install the truss rod nut and it will probably adjust up just fine.--Darwin

Wed May 16, 2012 9:19 am

Thanks Darwin, I saw that method in the book I mentioned before as well, I'll talk to my tech about it.

Thu May 17, 2012 7:09 am

Apparently the washer solution won't work in this situation. My tech had already looked considered that as a possible solution, but according to him the issue isn't at the nut, but down inside the neck itself.

At any rate, it's set up great at the moment, so I'm not going to worry too much about it for now other than keeping an eye on it. I found this video for "helping" a truss rod that won't tighten. It's on a Les Paul, but the concept seems logical if anyone else runs into this, if the problem recurs for me I'll see if I can find someone to try this. Thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfAp6EYu9ow