Legacy Tone Controls Update?

Fri May 18, 2012 12:01 am

Hi everyone!

As much as I love the PTB-system on my Legacy I also hate it.. My problem is that I need to lover the treble more on bridge pickup than on the middle and neck. I usually keep neck and middle as follows: treble on 8, bass on 10. But on the bridge pickup I want to have the treble on 3-5 to get the sound that I like. The problem is that I use middle and bredge pu's most of the time and I tend to switch between them in the middle of the solo. SO, I have to tweak the treble constantly.

So my question is: Can I make the 'treble'-control operate just the bridge pu? So that the neck and middle would then be on 10. The 'bass'-control could still operate like it is operating now.

OR

EDIT:
How about if I would change the wiring to be like in Fender Stratocaster but with one 'tone' beeing the bridge and the other the middle pu?
What would I need to change then? And would the sound of the guitar change?
Last edited by Kummeli on Fri May 18, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Legacy Tone Controls Update?

Fri May 18, 2012 1:54 am

you would need a superswitch to do that.

Fri May 18, 2012 6:47 am

louis cyfer wrote:you would need a superswitch to do that.

Man your right I have so much to learn about this stuff!
I hope paul outlives me or Im in big trouble! Have to send my gtrs to you and your gonna want them! Super switch?WOW

Fri May 18, 2012 9:41 pm

timewave wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:you would need a superswitch to do that.

Man your right I have so much to learn about this stuff!
I hope paul outlives me or Im in big trouble! Have to send my gtrs to you and your gonna want them! Super switch?WOW

i use a superswitch in all my s style guitars for that reason, being able to isolate which pup goes to the tone control. to me a separate bridge treble control is essential.

Fri May 18, 2012 10:25 pm

Ok, thanks for the replys!

How about if I would change the wiring to be like in Fender Stratocaster but with one 'tone' beeing the bridge and the other the middle pu?
What would I need to change then? And would the sound of the guitar change? Sorry for stupid questions..

Sat May 19, 2012 12:32 am

Kummeli wrote:Ok, thanks for the replys!

What would I need to change then? And would the sound of the guitar change? Sorry for stupid questions..

you'd lose the ptb, so yes, the tone will change. whether it is gonna be a change that you will like or dislike, only doing it will tell.

Sat May 19, 2012 12:13 pm

louis cyfer wrote:you'd lose the ptb, so yes, the tone will change. whether it is gonna be a change that you will like or dislike, only doing it will tell.

Ok, thanks! Sounds like I'm just gonna fiddle with the treble-control then. ;)
Or, could I put a capasitor to bridge pu so it would always have less treble than middle and neck?