Can I change a ASAT Classic to a Classic Custom?

Wed May 09, 2012 5:23 pm

What will I need to change a ASAT Classic to a Calssic Custom besides the neck pickup? Different Caps? Different Bridge pickup? I'm just in the thought process now...

Re: Can I change a ASAT Classic to a Classic Custom?

Wed May 09, 2012 10:36 pm

Another pickguard, that special overwound big MFD pickup (probably not available) and a rerouted body, as the neck pickup cavity most likely will not fit the bigger pickup.

Wed May 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Miles Smiles is correct and you will definitely need to re-rout for the neck pickup change.

Here's what the ASAT Classic neck rout looks like:

And here is what the ASAT Special pickup rout looks like and note that the ASAT Classic Custom neck
pickup cavity will need to be slightly deeper than the ASAT Special pickup rout. Sorry, I don't know the actual
depth needed:

Image.

You might consider posting an Ad in our Marketplace for doing a trade of your AC for an ACC, just a thought.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu May 10, 2012 1:06 am

@ Miles Smiles, Thank you for the reply. The pickguard (available through Chandler in the Links section on this site) and pickup(available through G&L's web site) I knew about, I just didn't know if a different bridge pick up was used(more or less windings), or if diffenent Caps were used on the pots.
@ Craig, Thanks also for the reply. I have a router at the ready just in case I want to collect the parts and do it. Although a trade would be much more easy.....

Thu May 10, 2012 4:56 am

wrigman wrote:@ Miles Smiles, Thank you for the reply. The pickguard (available through Chandler in the Links section on this site) and pickup(available through G&L's web site) I knew about, I just didn't know if a different bridge pick up was used(more or less windings), or if diffenent Caps were used on the pots.

For the pickup at the ASAT Custom it reads: "extra-fat Jumbo Magnetic Field Design neck pickup"

I don't know were the difference exactly is, I suppose more windings, but in the online store they sell just ordinary pickups, without that "extra-fat". ;)
But maybe you can go in contact with G&L for getting exactly that pickup which is used at the ASAT Custom.

For the bridge pickup and especially the caps I cannot think of any reason for to be different to the ordinary Classic.

Thu May 10, 2012 6:57 am

For the pickup at the ASAT Custom it reads: "extra-fat Jumbo Magnetic Field Design neck pickup"

I don't know were the difference exactly is, I suppose more windings, but in the online store they sell just ordinary pickups, without that "extra-fat".

From the G&L Knowledgebase: List of pickups used in G&L guitars:

The ASAT Classic Custom and ASAT Classic Custom Semi-hollow
neck pickup pole piece bushings are longer than the standard ASAT Special
pickup. An extra 200 windings were added, but they stack up entirely
differently and the magnet is further down under as well. They are warm and
fat but still have tonal characteristics of the standard MFD single coil.

Hope this helps.

Thu May 10, 2012 7:32 am

wrigman wrote:@ Miles Smiles, Thank you for the reply. The pickguard (available through Chandler in the Links section on this site) and pickup(available through G&L's web site) I knew about, I just didn't know if a different bridge pick up was used(more or less windings), or if diffenent Caps were used on the pots.
@ Craig, Thanks also for the reply. I have a router at the ready just in case I want to collect the parts and do it. Although a trade would be much more easy.....

Finding the pickup will likely be the challenge. You might contact the G&L On-line Store
and see if they will sell you one or check with a local G&L dealer.

See the Gallery for wiring photo diagrams.

If you get the needed parts and decide to do it, perhaps you could document your project
in the The Project Page sub-forum.

Thu May 10, 2012 11:26 am

Craig wrote:
If you get the needed parts and decide to do it, perhaps you could document your project
in the The Project Page sub-forum.:

Thanks again Craig. If I do this Project, i WILL post up in the Projects page. It wouldn't be the first time I've taken a router to a guitar, I like to think I could pull this one off cleanly.
Although I may try the trade thing here first, so if you or anyone else knows of some one that would like a near mint ASAT Classic in Vintage white with maple board and white pearl pick guard, send them my way and I can get them pic's.
Their Classic Custom will need to be in like condition.
Thanks!

Fri May 25, 2012 9:46 pm

if you are having a hard time sourcing the neck pup, you might try nordstrand, they make a very nice alnico version of the big mfd pup. and wind it to your specs.

Tue May 29, 2012 10:33 am

Thank you for the info Louis. I will keep that in mind when I start to gather the parts for this project (out of work right now).
I don't think I'm going to look for a trade. The more I play this guitar, the more I like the neck, weight, and general feel of this guitar. You all KNOW how it is when one just "Feels right".
I'll post up when I start the project, but it may be a while...

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:15 am

Craig wrote:Finding the pickup will likely be the challenge. You might contact the G&L On-line Store
and see if they will sell you one or check with a local G&L dealer.

The G&L On-Line Store now carries the ASAT Classic Custom neck pickup.