View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Can I put this in my ASAT Tribute Special Semi-Hollow? 

Post Can I put this in my ASAT Tribute Special Semi-Hollow?
Hi,
Both volume and tone pots on my Tribute guitar are wasted and I need to replace them. I've already posted in another section of the forum regarding this and I got lots of useful suggestions for possible improvements, among which a 4 way switch. So I shopped around and stumbled on THIS on ebay. Since I'm not very technical I appreciate the ease of installation of such a kit but I'm wondering if it will fit perfectly on my Tribute or not? Will the pots and switch come thru the plate at exactly the right place?

Below is the diagram that Craig posted that got me thinking about the whole idea of a 4 way switch but I notice a few difference to the one in my above ebay link. Not being technical at all, I don't understand what are the benefits or disadvantages of one setup vs the other? Can anybody briefly please explain that to me? Am I going to be losing a lot because of the different 4 way switch used, the absence of 1 capacitor and that the one is Paper In Oil instead of silver? what's the benefit of the bigger Pot value? And finally, how important is that brass shield plate he also installs?
My head is swimming, I hope you can help :confused0007:
Thanks!

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:29 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Can I put this in my ASAT Tribute Special Semi-Hollow?
Yes, this should work for your Tribute.
However, you will need to use the Mighty Might brand Short Split-Shaft
potentiometer for G&L Tribute guitars or suitable replacements. You can get them from G&L's On-Line store.
They are available in 1meg, 250k, and 500k values.
The reason for this is that the control cavity is routed for them and
the pots used in the US model will not fit.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Last edited by Craig on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Updated G&L On-Line Store link

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:11 am
Profile WWW

I must disagree with our esteemed landlord because there is no control rout on this model (or at least there isn't on mine, a 2005) -- you can use any pots you want because the control plate is over a big hollow chamber. I used solid-shaft CTS pots and Allparts Nocaster-style setscrew knobs -- both a big improvement over the originals imo. There's so much room you can probably use a Fender Superswitch or certainly a Stew-Mac Megaswitch, for which there are a number of cool five-way switching schemes. I used a smaller 4P5T switch from Toneshapers (Acme Guitarworks), but if I had to do it over again I'd have tried the Fender, which has a smoother, looser action and a lot more room for easier soldering.

Fri May 04, 2012 3:16 pm
Site Admin

editorjuno wrote:
I must disagree with our esteemed landlord because there is no control rout on this model (or at least there isn't on mine, a 2005) -- you can use any pots you want because the control plate is over a big hollow chamber. I used solid-shaft CTS pots and Allparts Nocaster-style setscrew knobs -- both a big improvement over the originals imo. There's so much room you can probably use a Fender Superswitch or certainly a Stew-Mac Megaswitch, for which there are a number of cool five-way switching schemes. I used a smaller 4P5T switch from Toneshapers (Acme Guitarworks), but if I had to do it over again I'd have tried the Fender, which has a smoother, looser action and a lot more room for easier soldering.

Right you are. I had a brain-fart and was thinking solid body Tribute when I posted my reply. :oops:

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks so much to both of you!! That's very reassuring to hear I can pretty much do whatever I want! Cool :-)
Cheers,
Chumbo

Sun May 06, 2012 11:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]