Problem with new DFS Vibrato Upgrade bridge block (Solved)

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:17 am

Dear All,

I just received the upgrade kit for Dual Fulcrum Vibrato containing Steel Saddles and the Steel Bridge Block (link http://www.glguitars.com/features/DF-vibrato.asp) and I am experiencing this problem:
when I try to attach one of the springs to the block, the "hole" looks like clogged and I am not able to insert the entire "claw" inside, so about 2 mm remain outside. Did anyone experience the same problem? Suggestions on how to solve it? I still need to try to use some lubricant.
I hope I made the problem clear enough, I will be able to post a pic later.

Thanks,

Marco
Last edited by Craig on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated subject

Re: Problem with new DFS Vibrato Upgrade bridge block

Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:48 am

Marek82313 wrote:Dear All,

I just received the upgrade kit for Dual Fulcrum Vibrato containing Steel Saddles and the Steel Bridge Block (link http://www.glguitars.com/features/DF-vibrato.asp) and I am experiencing this problem:
when I try to attach one of the springs to the block, the "hole" looks like clogged and I am not able to insert the entire "claw" inside, so about 2 mm remain outside. Did anyone experience the same problem? Suggestions on how to solve it? I still need to try to use some lubricant.
I hope I made the problem clear enough, I will be able to post a pic later.

Thanks,

Marco

Try using a large paperclip; uncoil one end of it, and insert it into the hole. See if you can loosen any left over leavings from the drilling process. You can also use the paperclip end
to measure the depth of the hole and see if it was properly drilled the same depth as the other holes. If you find that the hole is not drilled deep enough, I would contact the dealer or
G&L On-Line Store (whichever one you purchased from) and let them know it is defective. They should be able to get you a good replacement.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Dear Craig,

thank you for the suggestion! Holes were clogged by leftovers. Diggin' with the paperclip and "knocking" on the block was enough.

Thanks,

Marco

Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:29 am

Marek82313 wrote:Dear Craig,

thank you for the suggestion! Holes were clogged by leftovers. Diggin' with the paperclip and "knocking" on the block was enough.

Thanks,

Marco

You are welcome. Glad it was a simple fix.
Let us know how you like the upgrade to the DFS.

Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:42 pm

My feeling is that:
- the sound is a little brighter and chimey
- the guitar is more responsive and the attack is very rapid
- Notes have now a better definition (the S500 goes Hi-Fi)
- Sustain is longer
- distortion is a little more aggressive and better sounding
- slightly P90-ish sounding?

I need to play more and I will be able to write a better post. In general, it seems to me that the upgrade gave an overall improvement of the tone.

Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:58 pm

Marek82313 wrote:My feeling is that:
- the sound is a little brighter and chimey
- the guitar is more responsive and the attack is very rapid
- Notes have now a better definition (the S500 goes Hi-Fi)
- Sustain is longer
- distortion is a little more aggressive and better sounding
- slightly P90-ish sounding?

I need to play more and I will be able to write a better post. In general, it seems to me that the upgrade gave an overall improvement of the tone.

Thank you for posting your impression of this upgrade. I'm sure it will be useful for others who might be interested in upgrading.