Neck optionson the ASAT

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:17 am

I am considering buying an ASAT. I really like the sound and the look of the guitars, but the neck on the ones I have played are too chunky for me. I can't find one locally with the thin neck. My reference is a Fender Tele neck. I have short fingers and I can get around on the Teles just fine. How close to the telecaster style neck is the G&L thin neck? What can I play to be the best comparison to one? I'm trying really hard to like the G&L.

Thanks
Tim

Re: Neck optionson the ASAT

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:12 am

Hi Tim,

Here an overview for different neck-options available for USA made G&L's. If in one way or another you can retrieve measurements for the Tele-neck you're using as your baseline, you can see if there is something that comes close. But here is some information on Fender neck shapes and also check out Stephen's Stringed instrument page (click on the Neck Dimensions link) if you want to see some numbers.

You'll notice that the G&L is in general a tad thicker at the first fret but the #1b neck comes close (0.75" on Fender vs. 0.79" on #1b) but then it flares out more towards the rear. The #1a neck is the 'thinnest' and 'flattest' overall (all assuming you'll settle for a 12" fretboard radius).

Hope this helps,

- Jos