View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 1993 ASAT - Oil the neck? 

Post 1993 ASAT - Oil the neck?
A question: on my 1993 ASAT, if I'm not wrong, the maple neck (and fretboard) is an oiled neck.

But the neck isn't enough slipping, and I don't want to use steel wool, of send the guitar to a guitar shop.

So In order to maintain the neck and "feed" the wood, to make the maple more shinny, and above all, to make it more "slippy" and easier to play, I consider to oil it with sweet almond oil.

What do you think?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:08 pm

Post Re: 1993 ASAT - Oil the neck?
Seriously ?

I don't think sweet almond oil will still smell sweet after a couple of weeks.

If the neck is a gloss finish I sometimes use lemon oil on a guitar neck

http://www.kysermusical.com/product.php?productid=16151

Can't say I've used it on any of my G&Ls though, I do also wipe the neck down every time I'm finished playing with a cloth and a few drops of string cleaner, more to prevent a build up of gunk than anything.

Again I use a Kyser product, (they don't only make capos )

http://www.kysermusical.com/product.php?productid=16150

Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:43 pm

I've read lemon oil wasn't recommanded for maple neck, but maybe I'm wrong.

When I played wooden flute years ago, I often used sweet almond oil to feed the wood, and to protect it from humidity. It's a natural product, without solvant, I liked the odor, the look and the feeling of the wood then. it locks in moisture and provides a degree of smoothness and lubrication, and provide a natural barrier between the wood and any detrimental effects humidity might have on the wood itself.

So I consider to oil the neck and the fretboard with pure sweet almond oil once or twice a year, and more regularly using a "Fast Fret" or "Fret Board Juice" product type for the strings and freatboard.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:23 am

I use Mothers Carnauba cleaner/paste wax on necks, It removes residue and makes them slippery. Try it, you'll like it!-- Darwin

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:01 am

Quote:
A question: on my 1993 ASAT, if I'm not wrong, the maple neck (and fretboard) is an oiled neck.

I've never seen a maple neck with just an oil finish--they are all varnished with something, otherwise they start turning black and ugly quickly. Look at an old maple fingerboard where the finish has worn off from playing and you can see the color change.

Since the wood on a maple neck is sealed, any oil applied will not soak into the grain. On a rosewood or ebony board the grain is still exposed and oil treatment will help keep the wood hydrated. Avoid furniture polish labelled as lemon oil as they are mostly petroleum solvents. Also avoid olive oil as it will become rancid and smelly. I think I have read good things about almond and other oils obtained from nuts. On my bottle of Dunlop Ultimate Lemon Oil it clearly states: "Not for use on maple fretboards".

Perhaps you have a satin finish neck--in which case there is still a finish on the neck but it will not appear glossy.

Photos would help.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks Eddie, I finally oiled the neck with a bit of sweet almond oil, it worked fine.

Concerning the pics, see here some photos of my ASAT. ;)

Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:44 am

Quote:

Back to your original question--Your neck and fretboard are not oiled but completely finished and sealed. No amount of oil of any kind will reach the wood grain and "feed" the wood as you say. If you like the feel of an oily neck, fine....but the oil will not be making any contact with the wood.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks Eddie.

So what can I use to clean and maintain the neck?

Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:36 pm

I just use a rag and wipe the neck and board down after each use. If you find a grimy buildup behind the frets you can always use Naptha (lighter fluid) to clean with--it will not affect the finish.

Darwin in his post above recommends carnuba wax.

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]