New tribute s-500 questions

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:39 pm

I recently started playing again after a 20 year break and decided I am not going to put the guitar down this time. I saved up some money and just bought a tribute s-500. I have a few question. Sorry if they may seem simple question but it has been awhile since I was playing.

I have been having problems tuning the g string and it sound different than the others. Based on the serial # of the guitar was made in July of 2011. I just got it now so the strings though not used are six months old. I am guessing this problem may based on the age of the strings and not something else. Any thoughts on this?

Although the store I bought the guitar from did a check on the setup I don't feel they put a lot of time into it. Base on the manual found on this site the USA made guitar are setup with a string height of 4/64”. Mine are from 6/64” to 8/64”. I was going to put new string on the guitar and then try and bring the string height down as close as possible to 4/64 with out getting any buzz. My question is what string height has other been able to get on the tribute guitars and at what fret should I be checking at? The manual said the 22 other say 12, 17 fret. I know string height is a person setting but I am looking at getting a starting point.

Thanks for your help
Jeff

Re: New tribute s-500 questions

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:12 pm

jtripo08 wrote:I recently started playing again after a 20 year break and decided I am not going to put the guitar down this time. I saved up some money and just bought a tribute s-500. I have a few question. Sorry if they may seem simple question but it has been awhile since I was playing.

I have been having problems tuning the g string and it sound different than the others. Based on the serial # of the guitar was made in July of 2011. I just got it now so the strings though not used are six months old. I am guessing this problem may based on the age of the strings and not something else. Any thoughts on this?

Although the store I bought the guitar from did a check on the setup I don't feel they put a lot of time into it. Base on the manual found on this site the USA made guitar are setup with a string height of 4/64”. Mine are from 6/64” to 8/64”. I was going to put new string on the guitar and then try and bring the string height down as close as possible to 4/64 with out getting any buzz. My question is what string height has other been able to get on the tribute guitars and at what fret should I be checking at? The manual said the 22 other say 12, 17 fret. I know string height is a person setting but I am looking at getting a starting point.

Thanks for your help
Jeff

The setup has changed recently and this information is posted in our G&L Knowledgebase: G&L Tech Tips sub-forum:
Current Factory setups for DF vibrato G&L guitars. So, use this as your starting point to insure your setup is the same as the factory setup.

You might also find this post useful: Set-Ups, answering some questions.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Re: New tribute s-500 questions

Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks Craig i did find the first post you suggest tonight but not the second so i am going to read that one next. thanks for the info.