Switching Info Tele Style Bridge-Neck

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:02 am

Rather than weeding through hundreds of posts on switching and likely missing many posts with good information I thought I would ask a question.

I am in the process of making several changes to my Legacy. I am about to order noiseless pickups. I will also be shielding the guitar. I would like to add the switching option of the Neck-Bridge pickups like an ASAT. I suspect that by now other people have done this to a Legacy. Does anyone know if there is a wiring diagram for this option on a Legacy? Does anyone have a recommendation for the knob? Should I purchase this from the G&L website? I figure a Push-Push or Push-Pull middle tone pot is in the plan.

Thank you,

Michael

Re: Switching Info Tele Style Bridge-Neck

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:56 am

don't need a different knob. allparts has the pot. push push is far easier to use live. are your pots split shaft or solid shaft? that is your only consideration, and the value of the pot. buy 3, measure them, return 2. there is a pretty big variance in pot values, i like to be pretty close. withing 10 kohms. as far as the wiring, it couldn't be easier. just run a wire from the 5 way switch, from the lug the neck pup attaches, to the middle lug of the switch on the push push, either side works as it will be dpdt. run a wire from the lug that is closer to the pot's housing, on the switch of the push push (same side that you are using for the middle lug), to the input lug of the volume pot. done. just 2 wires.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:02 am

Michael-GnL-Michael wrote:I suspect that by now other people have done this to a Legacy.

They did it with the S-500, so if you're looking for the wiring diagram of a current S-500.

The 2 red wires are doing the trick:

I would not choose a push-push poti, as you cannot see, in which state it is.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:58 am

I don't think I have had a conversation about this with anyone and I do not recognize everything you may be describing.

I meant a new pot when I said "knob."

Looking at an S-500 will everything be identical on a Legacy except there will not be a toggle and those red wires will be attached to the middle pot?

Is a "lug" the pot's metal housing?

I'll have to look up whether a Legacy comes with a split or solid shaft. I could remove one to see but I would like to limit this and not risk damage or wear by doing it many times.

How do you measure the pot values? It cannot be done before making the purchase?

louis cyfer wrote:...the push push, either side works as it will be dpdt. run a wire from the lug....

What does "dpdt" mean?

Thanks again guys

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Michael-GnL-Michael wrote:I don't think I have had a conversation about this with anyone and I do not recognize everything you may be describing.

I meant a new pot when I said "knob."

Looking at an S-500 will everything be identical on a Legacy except there will not be a toggle and those red wires will be attached to the middle pot?

Is a "lug" the pot's metal housing?

I'll have to look up whether a Legacy comes with a split or solid shaft. I could remove one to see but I would like to limit this and not risk damage or wear by doing it many times.

How do you measure the pot values? It cannot be done before making the purchase?

louis cyfer wrote:...the push push, either side works as it will be dpdt. run a wire from the lug....

What does "dpdt" mean?

Thanks again guys

is there a set screw on the knob? if yes it is a solid shaft. if not it is a split shaft. the lug is the little metal thingy you solder to. the pot has 3, the 5 way switch has 8, the dpdt switch in the pic has 6.
you need a multi meter to measure the pot value. the rated value is 250kohms, but when you buy just one, it maybe anywhere between 200-300. you can not get it done before making the purchase. but it will change the sound of your guitar if it is far off. out of 3, you have a good chance one will be 240-260, which is acceptable. dpdt is double pole double throw. like the little switch in the pic. as you see only one side of that switch is used. you only need an spdt switch.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:16 pm

louis cyfer wrote:dpdt is double pole double throw. like the little switch in the pic. as you see only one side of that switch is used. you only need an spdt switch.

Do I need one of the spdt switches when using a push pot for a switch?

In the image posted by Miles, are they referring to the "lug" as a "claw"?

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:23 pm

Michael-GnL-Michael wrote:
louis cyfer wrote:dpdt is double pole double throw. like the little switch in the pic. as you see only one side of that switch is used. you only need an spdt switch.

Do I need one of the spdt switches when using a push pot for a switch?

In the image posted by Miles, are they referring to the "lug" as a "claw"?

no. the claw is the trem claw not in the pic where the ground wire goes to. that lug is grounded to the pot housing can't really see it. every one of those wires are soldered to a lug, unless they go to the back of the pot housing. you are not gonna find an spdt push pot, so you just use one side of the dpdt, just like in the pic.