Replacing the Seth Lover with a Tele single coil in Bluesboy

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:21 am

I'm thinking of dropping a regular Tele neck single coil in the neck of my Bluesboy Rustic which currently has a Seth Lover humbucker in the neck. Do you know if a single coil will fit in the routed space? Plan is I would get a pickguard fitting for single coil neck. I just want to make sure this would work with the current routing. Thanks

Derek

Re: Replacing the Seth Lover with a Tele single coil in Blue

Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:23 am

GuitarArt1980 wrote:I'm thinking of dropping a regular Tele neck single coil in the neck of my Bluesboy Rustic which currently has a Seth Lover humbucker in the neck. Do you know if a single coil will fit in the routed space? Plan is I would get a pickguard fitting for single coil neck. I just want to make sure this would work with the current routing. Thanks

Derek

It looks like it might ... but probably not quite in the same position from the bottom of the neck.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks, that helps. Do you know if they make a humbucker to tele single coil adaptor plate that I could use with my current pickguard? I'm worried about changing to a single coil neck pickguard because it may force me to put the single coil too close to the neck where there might not have clearance with the routing.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:23 am

GuitarArt1980 wrote:Thanks, that helps. Do you know if they make a humbucker to tele single coil adaptor plate that I could use with my current pickguard? I'm worried about changing to a single coil neck pickguard because it may force me to put the single coil too close to the neck where there might not have clearance with the routing.

Not from G&L. You might check with the aftermarket parts suppliers, such as Stew Mac and AllParts.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:38 pm

You really need some hard facts re dimensions, before you can be sure of what is possible and what isn't. It would seem likely (but not certain, just from pics) that the neck pup might fit at the point where the Seth humbucker's fixing bolts are. I have no idea whether there is enough vertical depth into the body.
This will move the pup slightly nearer the bridge than a regular Tele /Asat Classic layout; in my heretical opinion, this could be a good thing.
Getting a custom pickguard made to accomodate this shouldn't be too hard; personally I would go that route rather than add-on plates.
But the inductance matching of a Fender pup with an MFD might not be comfortable in mixed switch settings. You might consider an Asat Classic setup, with a neck MFD, but with the slightly-brighter-positioned neck pup. This location will probably help harmonics speak, and balance volume/tone when playing way up the neck.
You might like to have a look at Louis Cyfer's topic re a P90-type in a Bluesboy, his thinking on this is really well-researched, and I'm tempted to try it myself, including his choice of bridge pup, which should make a good mate for the neck one.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Derek,

I'm sure you can find PLENTY of people that would be willing to TRADE you a ASAT Classic for your Blues Boy. Have you tried THAT route?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Been awhile but I'm readdressing this idea. I've verified a single coil will fit the HB cavity. So I'm looking at ordering an ASAT Classic pickguard to fit onto my ASAT Classic BLUESBOY.

Question is does anyone know if the Classic and Classic bluesboy share the same pick guard dimensions (besides one cut for SC and one for HB)?

Thanks